questions on 77 Mako 21 CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions on 77 Mako 21 CC

I had my eye on this boat. I am a first time boat buyer but have experience on the water. The seller had the boat for 1.5 years, he bought it from the original owner and needs to sell it since he no longer has time for it. Can I verify that he purchased from original owner? I want to know if this is a good year/model boat? Is the price good? What do I look for when I check it out? Please be detailed, I want to learn all can, thanks in advance.

AMOUNTS IN PARENTHESIS ARE WHAT HE SAID THEY COST

1977 21FT MAKO CC

1999 200HP MERCURY BLUEWATER SERIES OUTBOARD MOTOR WAS A LEFT OVER, MOTOR WAS INSTALLED IN spring 02 ($12,000)W/ APPROX 75 HOURS

MOTOR HAS EXTENDED WARRANTY TO JULY 05, EXTENSION CAN BE PURCHASED

HYDRUALIC STEERING

TRIM TABS

86 GAL GAS TANK

FURUNO 1650 COLOR GPS/FISHFINDER 1 YR OLD($2000)

VHF

NEW CUSHIONS summer 03($900)

FIBERGLASS T-TOP w/ 5 ROCKET LAUCHERS, SPREADER LIGHTS AND ELECTRONIC BOX installed 11/03 ($2000)

NEW STEREO CD PLAYER W/ NEW SPEAKERS AND XM RADIO

NEW TACH INSTALLED W/ MOTOR INSTALL

NEW FLOSCAN GAS GUAGE summer 04

BILGE PUMP 2 YRS OLD

2 NEW BATTERIES 9/04 W/ SWITCH

NO TRAILER

including 4 ugly sticks w/ penn level wind reels, 2 penn 114 w/ heavy rods, 2 ugly sticks w/ penn reels, tacke box, ladder, 6 life jackets, brush, cooler, gaff

He wants $10,000

I asked him what the boat will need in the next year, he said "Bottom paint sanded down and repaint rough spots"

So what do you guys think?

sounds pretty good, have any pics?
    1983 21b[br]Waveland,MS

Comment

Sounds like a good price. The transom, needs to be checked. Fuel tank is about due for replacement.

QUOTE: Can I verify that he purchased from original owner?

You can thru the DMV. I wouldn't give it a 2nd throught. Who cares?

If the boat checks out, buy it. Have a marine survayer look at it. This will cost you about $300. It's money well spent and it can give you some leverage or break the deal if really bad things are found.

Comment

how much approx does it cost to replace the fuel tank? can i do it myself? i will try to post pics

as for a survey, i know a very trustworthy captain who owns a 31' blackfin and has been boating for 25+ years. he will be checking it out with me and he suggested that on a small vessel, a survey might not be necessary.

Comment

wart, how do you check the transom? I just got my mako and wonder about the soundness of the transom too. I would love to close in like rings but that project will take a while. ($$$$) I'm going to run it like it is for now.
          1983 21b[br]Waveland,MS

Comment

It sounds like a great boat.

Some ideas on things you can check when you go back to look at it:

Are there any stress cracks in the transom, especially around the motor?

Does the transom flex if you trim the motor up and put some weight on it?

Do any stress cracks on the transom open up when you put weight on the trimmed up motor?

Look inside the bilge for any dark streaks that look like rust stains.

Make sure there is not a smell of gas coming from the bilge (leaking tank).

Make sure nothing is loose like the lift eye, deck rails, etc., anywhere that a screw has penetrated the fiberglass and into the core is a place where the plywood core can rot. Check for loose screws. Look for soft spots on the deck by tapping it with a mallet. If you run into a spot that’s soft you’ll know it.

If anything looks suspicious I would recommend a professional survey also. A few hundred will give you a good idea of what you might be getting into. Then you can decide if it's worth it or not.

I think small boats typically don’t get surveyed because the purchase cost is relatively low and the buyer is prepared to assume more risk (or doesn’t think to worry about it) for the purchase. It all depends on how important your budget is when buying. If you really can’t go much past the seller’s asking price then pay for the survey so you will have solid information about the condition of the boat. If you are willing to accept the risk of spending more money on future repairs then don’t worry about it. Buy it and enjoy it until something goes wrong and then fix it.

Good luck…
            [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

It sounds like a great boat.

Some ideas on things you can check when you go back to look at it:

Are there any stress cracks in the transom, especially around the motor?

Does the transom flex if you trim the motor up and put some weight on it?

Do any stress cracks on the transom open up when you put weight on the trimmed up motor?

Look inside the bilge for any dark streaks that look like rust stains.

Make sure there is not a smell of gas coming from the bilge (leaking tank).

Make sure nothing is loose like the lift eye, deck rails, etc., anywhere that a screw has penetrated the fiberglass and into the core is a place where the plywood core can rot. Check for loose screws. Look for soft spots on the deck by tapping it with a mallet. If you run into a spot that’s soft you’ll know it.

If anything looks suspicious I would recommend a professional survey also. A few hundred will give you a good idea of what you might be getting into. Then you can decide if it's worth it or not.

I think small boats typically don’t get surveyed because the purchase cost is relatively low and the buyer is prepared to assume more risk (or doesn’t think to worry about it) for the purchase. It all depends on how important your budget is when buying. If you really can’t go much past the seller’s asking price then pay for the survey so you will have solid information about the condition of the boat. If you are willing to accept the risk of spending more money on future repairs then don’t worry about it. Buy it and enjoy it until something goes wrong and then fix it.

Good luck…
              [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SeaCock

how much approx does it cost to replace the fuel tank? can i do it myself? i will try to post pics

as for a survey, i know a very trustworthy captain who owns a 31' blackfin and has been boating for 25+ years. he will be checking it out with me and he suggested that on a small vessel, a survey might not be necessary.

If you want to remain friends with this guy, take him with along when you hire that surveyor, with that stamp, to do this proper survey. Check with your insurance agent to see at what age he will insure a boat without the survey? This is paramount before spending ten grand on a boat. Ten grand and a lot of time is nothing in repairs. Then you got 20 grand in a 30 year old hull. When you open up for the fuel tank, you maybe presently surprised, [] at the "While you at its" that seem to stare you in the face. Your insurance. You are basically buying an engine, which is five years old, which is not worth but at most five grand.

My opinion, he did a lot of window washing in the updates, if this hull is untouched. Sorry, if I rained on your parade.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SeaCock

If you want to remain friends with this guy, take him with along when you hire that surveyor, with that stamp, to do this proper survey. Check with your insurance agent to see at what age he will insure a boat without the survey? This is paramount before spending ten grand on a boat. Ten grand and a lot of time is nothing in repairs. Then you got 20 grand in a 30 year old hull. When you open up for the fuel tank, you maybe presently surprised, [] at the "While you at its" that seem to stare you in the face. Your insurance. You are basically buying an engine, which is five years old, which is not worth but at most five grand.

My opinion, he did a lot of window washing in the updates, if this hull is untouched. Sorry, if I rained on your parade.

Comment

DestinBound gave you a pretty good idea on stuff. I'll just add the detailed list for transom check. Do the hammer test with a plastic faced hammer. Tapping all over to find any delamination. It will sound diffrent.

Checking flex in the transom is done easly with 2 people. raise the motor and put the lock on. have a buddy push down and pull up on the motor whith their hands on the skeg. this will give a lot of leverage. While they are doing this you will be lookung close at the transom from all angles.

Comment

DestinBound gave you a pretty good idea on stuff. I'll just add the detailed list for transom check. Do the hammer test with a plastic faced hammer. Tapping all over to find any delamination. It will sound diffrent.

Checking flex in the transom is done easly with 2 people. raise the motor and put the lock on. have a buddy push down and pull up on the motor whith their hands on the skeg. this will give a lot of leverage. While they are doing this you will be lookung close at the transom from all angles.

Comment

Are you reading the foam thread, Sea Cock?

Comment

Yes I have been reading all the threads and I thank everyone for their info. I want to check it out in person first and try to look for everything u guys mentioned. If I dont see a mojor problem I will have my friend come along and maybr a surveyer. I will call the insurance company to see if they need a 25+ yr hull to be surveyed.

What the price to replace a gas tank?

Comment

I had pretty much the same decision to make on the 1981 version of the same thing that my brother-in-law was selling. It had a much older motor that might have lasted a season or two. I pretty much decided that after I put $15K into a motor and $5K into miscellaneous repairs, I'd have a boat worth about $20000 if I was lucky. Therefore, the value of the boat with the older motor was $0. Brother-in-law wanted $5K for it, so I decided to give it a miss. It could be a nice boat (the hull was in excellent shape) but the financial picture just didn't make sense.

I think the same economics are in place for you -- wouldn't pay more than $5K for that boat as almost all the value is in the motor.

Tim
                            Berlin MA & Boothbay Harbor, ME[br]1981 21 (maybe)

Comment

problem is, i dont think anyone is selling a new motor on an old mako for $5k, it aint happening. i can do basic repairs, but i'm no mechanic. so some of you said $10k is good, some say its bad. for those that dont think its a good deal, what type of deal should i look for? i need something good in rough seas for fall ocean wreck fishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X