Curious about 231 resale value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about 231 resale value

I was wondering what the consensus opinion might be by the many knowledgeable guys who frequent this board on the value of my 231 should I decide to sell it. Here's what it's got.

'89 231 (I am the original owner and have a story to go with it.)

2004 Merc 225 Optimax with full set of SmartCraft digital gauges with built in fuel monitoring system and much, much more.

New transom last winter. New heavy-duty aluminum fuel cell three years ago.

All teak replaced with black starboard four years ago and the console doors were replaced with a set of draws with white starboard faces that I just built over last winter.

New flush-mounted Lowrance LCX104 VGA Color fishfinder/chartplotter/WAAS GPS.

Floscan analog fuel monitor.

Horizon Intrepid VHF.

JVC Stereo/CD player 4 waterproof JBL speakers.

Custom heavy-duty, low split bow rails.

Custom designed console arch with 4- tulip rod holders, front and rear spreader lights, mounts for removable 18' Lee outriggers and 12' Lee center rigger (included). All antennas and navigation light mounted atop arch with internal wiring.

Overall condition of the hull is solid. Stringers were inspected and looked fine when the transom was being done last winter.

No trailer.

She's still a pretty boat that likes to fish hard.
    [br]Mako To Go, Brick, NJ [br]1989 Mako 231 CC[br]250 Optimax[br]

Gary

What's the replacement?

CV
    Capt. Vic[br]Six O Stretch 261CC T200 Js[br]Glimmer Glass/ Manasquan/ Milltown, NJ[br]<i></i>

Comment

Who said anything about a replacement. I'm just curious what the old girl is worth should I have to give her the boot for reasons beyond my control. We can talk, if you'd like Wictor.

Comment

Gary,

I think it's hard to give a estimated resale value. I believe a lot depends on geography. Some style/manufacturer sell great in one area, say the northeast, than in the mid-atlantic. In addition the options installed can attract a buyer, or drive them away. I know I don't particularly care for radar arches -- but the next guy may love 'em.

The engine, while new, is still bolted on to a 15-year old hull -- trust me I know the feeling with an '04 Yamaha sitting on a 20-year old hull! Also, some brands of engines are more popular in one area than others. A lot of that has to do with dealer support.

Sounds like the boat has much going for it -- would like to see pictures.

Prop Blast
        Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

If the rig is in the condition you describe.......I would not take a dime less than 15,000. When we repower with the expensive new motors on older hulls (any hull) we are gonna take a hit. What is unfortunate is our Makos are worth more to us than others.......sometimes. Last summer I sold a cherry 1978 22B with a Evinrude 1988 225 for 10,000.00 cash to the first looker. If you have what they want, they will buy.

Comment

Puti

Thought you had deal in progress.
            Capt. Vic[br]Six O Stretch 261CC T200 Js[br]Glimmer Glass/ Manasquan/ Milltown, NJ[br]<i></i>

Comment

Capt Caputi-

It is hard to say without seeing the boat, but I would think in the northeast you could get around $25k for the boat if it is in very good condition.

My hull is a few years newer than yours, never been bottom painted and is in pristine condition for its age. I also have a custom made $4500 aluminum roller trailer but my power is older (1998 Suzuki 225).If I were too sell mine right now, I would not take less than $25k.

Ed

Comment

Gary,

Did the Smartcraft Fuel guage work with the original fuel sending unit? I now all Smartcraft except the fuel guage.

Around 25K sounds about right, the problem is finding a buyer. A lot of people can't afford that, the one's that can, can afford a lot more.
                Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

Thanks for the replies. On the SmartGauge question about fuel meter, from what I've been told the sensor/sending unit is in the engine. I run that one right alongside a Floscan and they are equally accurate. In fact, the Smartgauge is a little more so.

The system also has a tank sending unit that you set for the number of gallons the tank holds. That has proved to be very accurate too checked against the flow meters.

Comment

As I understand it, the SmartCraft gauges read data directly from the engine’s on board computer management (ECM) system. The fuel flow measurement is not done using an analog flow meter like Floscan, so unless you have a Digital SmartCraft ready motor you can't use them.

The SmartCraft fuel management system will be slightly more accurate than a Floscan simply because it doesn’t count fuel still in the fuel lines. It counts fuel consumption at the injector.
                    [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

As I understand it, the SmartCraft gauges read data directly from the engine’s on board computer management (ECM) system. The fuel flow measurement is not done using an analog flow meter like Floscan, so unless you have a Digital SmartCraft ready motor you can't use them.

The SmartCraft fuel management system will be slightly more accurate than a Floscan simply because it doesn’t count fuel still in the fuel lines. It counts fuel consumption at the injector.
                      [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

I have a new Merc Inboard and the SmartCraft Tach which tells you everything you need to know such as coolant temp, oil pressure, voltage, fuel flow, hour meter, water pressue, RPM, etc.. You have to scroll through to get the info so I bought seperate gauges to display the info. The guages daisy chain into the main harness so all the info is digital from the engine control module. The only thing I didn't get that I will eventually is a fuel guage for each tank. I know they will plug into the main harness, and they must also be connected to the fuel tank sending unit. I don't know if I need a new sending unit or not. The old gauges work fine, they are do not match all the new guages, and I needed to stop the flow of money into the boat for a bit.

Comment

I have a new Merc Inboard and the SmartCraft Tach which tells you everything you need to know such as coolant temp, oil pressure, voltage, fuel flow, hour meter, water pressue, RPM, etc.. You have to scroll through to get the info so I bought seperate gauges to display the info. The guages daisy chain into the main harness so all the info is digital from the engine control module. The only thing I didn't get that I will eventually is a fuel guage for each tank. I know they will plug into the main harness, and they must also be connected to the fuel tank sending unit. I don't know if I need a new sending unit or not. The old gauges work fine, they are do not match all the new guages, and I needed to stop the flow of money into the boat for a bit.

Comment

I think any electric sending unit will work with the SmartCraft gauge. Since you have go through a programming step to get the reading corrected and the range calculations right the system is flexible on resistance readings from the sender.

You can call or email Mercury to be sure. They were very responsive when I asked if my Spedo could be upgraded to display fuel consumed. Sadly [] the guage is not upgradable.

Comment

Thanks DestinBound. I will try giving them a call.

Comment

Working...
                              X