1 inch from sinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 inch from sinking

Well guys, I damn near sunk my boat. I was coming out of the Marco river today and hit a submerged something from a dock or some shit like that. I learned an important lesson today. If you think that your bilge pump is adiquate, think twice. I have a 1000 gph pump and it barely kept up. I have a split in my hull about 8" long and my foam is soaked. After I repair this mess of crap Im installing a 3000 gph pump in my bilge as an emergancy back up. I have to de-rig my motor and cut my aft bulk head to fix this. What realy sucks is that I have to put the boat in an air conditioned area and bag it with dehumidifiers for at least 60 days before I can do the repair. There is a good side to this though, I now know what mods Im doing to my standard to make sure that I never lose a boat to the sea due to hull damage. I will never foam a hull below the water line again and I can give you 10 reasons why. Wish me luck, Gary

Was the angler that got damaged?

ouch![V][V]
    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Sorry for you gary!! At least, as we say, you are allright..Keep us posted!!!!
      1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Ya it was the Angler. The standard wont be done for about 14 months. I felt it hit my hull and the boat got heavy in minutes. I opened my well hatch and the water was up to the top. The lowest the water got before I got it on the trailer was about 6" below the hatch.

Comment

That sucks. Its also pretty scary. I had planned on putting in 2 bilge pumps and no foam in my rebuild.
          1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I have two Rule 1500gph bilge pumps in my boat wired to seperate batteries. I have also been toying with the idea of buying a mini 1-2hp trash pump (weighs 12lbs) and keeping it on board for just that reason.

-Ed-

Comment

Its worst than I thought[]n It delaminated the hull about 36" long by about 12" wide. I may have to slit the cap from the hull to do the repair or build another hull and set this cap on it. What a f-in mess!

Comment

That sounds awful. When you say that it delaminated the hull, what do you mean? Hull from stringers? or just all the layers on the hull in one area?
                1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

oh d#$n Gary, I see now why you said you would give up boating on my thread. Man it can't really be that bad can it? Just take it one thing at a time and knock it out....
                  Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I took it off the trailer yesterday and put it on stands and the inner layer of glass broke free from the outer layer. This was solid when I rebuilt the boat, but in old boats Ive seen the laminates come apart before in an impact and mine is one of them. Im going to Detroit and Chicago for about a week on the 16th and when I get back Im going to tear into it and figure it out. It still dos'nt look very promissing. (neither does my spelling)

Comment

Ill shoot some pics after I get into it and you guys can see how it looks. I have a hose in the hull right now trying to flush out the salt at least to save my tank if I have to gut the boat.

Comment

Shouldn't you be able to repair that, if its not delaminated too far?
                        1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Glad your Ok. Good idea on the extra pump. I have a 1500 and a 2000 on mine. Fore and aft. Also good idea to throw a hand pump in one of your hatch if your electrical goes out. Good luck

Strick
                          Oakley, California

Comment

Strick - where have you been? Hurricane?
                            1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

HeHe He dosen't get many huricanes in Ca. He's been working on the new real estate. A nice little cottage house with acre's of land. Just right for a NEW Boat Shop.[:x)]

Comment

Working...
                              X