1978 20 Mako problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 20 Mako problem

I have a bow mounted troling motor and wanted to run electrical back to the console where I installed the batteries for the motor. In the bow I only have 1 1" PVC Tube opening where the bow lights wire was run and then the line runs back to the console through another 2" PVC opening at the console. Everything of course goes down and is filled with foam is under the deck and you can't get at it? I'm sure the bow light wire was run at the factory back in 78. The only way for me to run the trolling wires back to the console was to cut the bow light wire and attach the trolling wire to it together with a string so I could pull the wire back through an re-attach later. Well the worse happened! I didn't make the string long enough and pulled the string right through the 1" opening. Now I have no connection from the bow to the console! Does anyone know any way to feed another line? This is awful I tried to move my batteries now not only can't I do that but I've lost my bow lights. Thanks

Possibly suck another string through with vaccum or try and blow another through with compressed air. This will only work if your tubing has no openings. I have run wiring on airplanes through conduit like this before!!!

Comment

I did what you did when I ran my transducer cable as well as my bilge wires. String works, but make sure your string is twice as long as the boat and is not going to break (i first used hemp twine and it snapped, putting me in your predicament[V]).

What you need is called a "fish tape" or 'steel tape'. It comes on a spool, is about 1/4" to 1/2" wide, and is simply, a steel ribbon. It's flexible enough to push through turns and whatnot but stiff enough to not bind up (therefore avoiding the futile "pushing a rope").

You should be able to find one at a home depot or Lowe's or equivalent tool store. Local hardware stores might have them too.
      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

I use 2 types of fish tapes, one is semi stiff and the other looks like a speedometer cable. In this case you might want to use the stiffer one. You can buy a good Greenlee at hte home depot. When you pull your wires make sure you stagger your wires and tape them a couple of inches up the wire.

Comment

Fish tape? Man where was this post yesterday?? I just installed a t-top on my boat and although there was a string down the tubes, it broke on the first pull. I was able to attach a weight to a electrical wire and get it down the tub from the top where the electronics box is mounted, but then had to fish it out at the bottom with a coat hanger. Of course the stiff wire I used broke too, so I had to repeat the whole dang process.

Also, I did run wires in the bilge using a string with a fishing weight. I tilted the trailer up as high as it would go so the weight would more or less roll down to the stern and pull the string. It frequently got caught up in wires that were already there but it eventually worked.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Had something similar happen putting on my bow mount trolling motor. I had to go in through the access plate on the side of the gunnel by the fuel cap. This access plate is just a fiberglass square with 4 screws. I was able to fish the wire out with a coat hanger. For snaking wire etc, I use 100 lb mono.

Also, I mounted the trolling motor (minnkota 74lb) with motorguide quick release "pucks". I highly recommend this system.
            1974 20\'[br]2005 Sabalo 22\'[br]Gainesville Fl[br]

Comment

I've been in that spot a few times now, and it always seems that my tools that are needed at the time (fish tape) are in another location....

I've found that single strand leader wire works excellent as a snake for pulling wire and cables...stiff enough that you can push it through, small enough that it will make it past bundled wires in turns etc. Has saved my arse a few times now.
              1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Thank you for the idea

I found a spool of green wire at the hardware store and after a couple hours of chipped up hands got her run.

Of course I found a couple other thigs needing to be done in the process. So I never did get in the water but thats half the fun...

Aztec

1978 20 Mako

Sanibel, Fl.

Recovered from Charlie almost...

Comment

Wait until you guys try to run 6 gauge wire to a windlass. Now that's some fun.

Mike
                  77 Mako 20, Huntington Beach,Ca[br]Mike

Comment

Sailor....all you had to do was ask!!!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by redneck sinner

Sailor....all you had to do was ask!!!

If I knew what the question was I would have!!!!
                      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                      1985 Mako 20c - sold
                      Fort Walton Beach, FL
                      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

If ya have an old shift/throttle cable laying around, cut the ends off and pull the inner cable out. This makes a pretty good fishtape.

Be sure to file the ends ya cut to round them a little, so ya dont eat up the sheathing on wires already in the rigging tube.

Comment

So do wire hangers, straightened out and connected to one another.
                          ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Working...
                          X