1979 17 ft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 17 ft

Been reading for a while, now looking to buy a very clean fresh water 1979 17ft with a 1989 115hp johnson. clean hull never been painted, new interior,new teak, 3 new covers console-chair and full, new fold down top. owner said runs like a top and does 43mph and would take me on a test run. he wants 4300.00 what do you experience guys think and what else should I look for, I do not want a can of worms? thanks and this is a great site Jay
    jcd

Since Warthog is temporarily out of commission, I will do the honors.

Welcome to the site, Jay. There are a great bunch of guys here who have tons to offer. If you would, please put where you are located in you signature box, it will help everyone help you since the answers to so many questions are regionally dependent. In fact, the question you asked is dependent on what part of the country you are in. Prices vary from region to region.

What I can tell you is that older Makos were very well built boats. The problems you run into usually have to do with rotten wood cores, whether it be in the transom, the floor or the stringers. The bad news is that you will never know for sure unless you cut into them. there are some telltale signs such as flex in the transom and soft spots in the floor. You can tilt the motor up and jump up and down on it and watch the transom to see if there is flex, and some times there are stress cracks on the edges of the notch in the transom to where the motor is bolted. This is a very general answer.

Your best bet may be to spend a couple hundred bucks on a marine surveyor. You can't go wrong.

I almost forgot, the 17 is a hell of a boat, I had one back in the 80's and loved it. It could do almost anything that I wanted.

Hope this helps and feel free to keep asking.
    1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Since Warthog is temporarily out of commission, I will do the honors.

Welcome to the site, Jay. There are a great bunch of guys here who have tons to offer. If you would, please put where you are located in you signature box, it will help everyone help you since the answers to so many questions are regionally dependent. In fact, the question you asked is dependent on what part of the country you are in. Prices vary from region to region.

What I can tell you is that older Makos were very well built boats. The problems you run into usually have to do with rotten wood cores, whether it be in the transom, the floor or the stringers. The bad news is that you will never know for sure unless you cut into them. there are some telltale signs such as flex in the transom and soft spots in the floor. You can tilt the motor up and jump up and down on it and watch the transom to see if there is flex, and some times there are stress cracks on the edges of the notch in the transom to where the motor is bolted. This is a very general answer.

Your best bet may be to spend a couple hundred bucks on a marine surveyor. You can't go wrong.

I almost forgot, the 17 is a hell of a boat, I had one back in the 80's and loved it. It could do almost anything that I wanted.

Hope this helps and feel free to keep asking.
      1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Jay

I found mine like you want.An in fresh water with every thing less motor. I got it in west Texas. 534 miles away The wife an I drove a 24 hour road trip. The boat had a few little bumps an nicks. I have a 17' standard an 19' they are boyh great boats.

If you realy like the boat ask the fella to pass by a boat shop to let them look see at it. If He has a problem with it after your test ride. go from there whats the worst he could say NO. the more he has to hide the less you have to pay
        Slim[br]Lafayette [br]1973 19-6 Aquasport[br]An a few Makos[br]

Comment

Jay

I found mine like you want.An in fresh water with every thing less motor. I got it in west Texas. 534 miles away The wife an I drove a 24 hour road trip. The boat had a few little bumps an nicks. I have a 17' standard an 19' they are boyh great boats.

If you realy like the boat ask the fella to pass by a boat shop to let them look see at it. If He has a problem with it after your test ride. go from there whats the worst he could say NO. the more he has to hide the less you have to pay

Comment

It is a Michigan boat, does the price seem in the ball park? thanks again Jay
            jcd

Comment

It is a Michigan boat, does the price seem in the ball park? thanks again Jay
              jcd

Comment

Jay

go pass by a new boat shop look at what they have to offer but look at the boats then compair it to the mako. you'll be able to see little things that stick out. That just doesn't look right.

My wife who realy doesn't say a lot about my toys.Will ask two simple question Is it what you like an want ? An can you pay for it?

Comment

Jay

go pass by a new boat shop look at what they have to offer but look at the boats then compair it to the mako. you'll be able to see little things that stick out. That just doesn't look right.

My wife who realy doesn't say a lot about my toys.Will ask two simple question Is it what you like an want ? An can you pay for it?

Comment

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the site. The motor alone is worth between 1800 and 2500 depending on condition. The price sounds very reanable. If it has a trailer all the better.

Gary, 17 angler

Comment

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the site. The motor alone is worth between 1800 and 2500 depending on condition. The price sounds very reanable. If it has a trailer all the better.

Gary, 17 angler

Comment

Working...
                      X