repower 231

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repower 231

Still asking the question....looking to repower a 1987 231...looking at Yamaha and Mercury...probably sticking with the 2 stroke...any thoughts? Local dealer who handles both swears by the Mercury Opti...probably has a higher profit margin!

Pete,

What size engine are you looking at? 225hp or 250? If it's a 225hp and you want a 2-stroke DFI, you'll have to go Mercury or Evinrude -- Yamaha only makes a 225hp in the 4-stroke. They do make a HPDI 225hp, but it only comes in their VMAX series, which is a 20in shaft, you need a 25" shaft.

If you're going with the 250hp you have a choice of either. I'd go with the dealer you trust is going to give you the best price and dealer support.

Don't forget that if you change manufacturers (i.e. go from Merc to Yamaha or Evinrude to Merc), you may need to change out the gauges, wiring harness, control cables, prop ... -- added cost.

Tom
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I have a 1991 Mako 231 with a 1998 Suzuki 225 EFI. The boat does around 44mph WOT and likes to cruise around 32mph. Have no idea as to what fuel usage is but I think it's a bit thirsty. I think the engine weighs around 480lbs....and I have no problem with scuppers not draning.

Whether to go two or 4 stroke is all personal preference and what your budget allows.

Comment

Pete,

I have an '89 231 with an '04 Merc Optimax 225hp. I have the luxury of being on the Merc Saltwater Team so I get a new engine each spring, take it off when I pull the boat for the season and sell it over the winter for a very attractive price. This one will probably have about 200 hours on it, a full warranty and it will look and run like new. It's barely broken in.

I'm in New Jersey, about 2-1/2 hours from Baltimore. If you're interested in discussing the possibility of obtaining this fine specimen of American motivation for your 231 drop me an email and I'll give you my phone number.

Oh, performance. My 231, which is pretty loaded, runs in the low 40's with a full tank and a passenger. At 32 mph she burns about 12 to 13 per hour on the Floscan, but it appears to get its best mile per gallon performance slightly faster, running at about 34 to 35 mph and burning about 14 to 15 mpg. Push it past 5000 rpm and it burns in the high teens mpg.
        [br]Mako To Go, Brick, NJ [br]1989 Mako 231 CC[br]250 Optimax[br]

Comment

C-Fish...you have email. Thanks!

Tom.....
          1985 21B[br]Southern New Jersey

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Prop Blast

Pete,

What size engine are you looking at? 225hp or 250? If it's a 225hp and you want a 2-stroke DFI, you'll have to go Mercury or Evinrude -- Yamaha only makes a 225hp in the 4-stroke. They do make a HPDI 225hp, but it only comes in their VMAX series, which is a 20in shaft, you need a 25" shaft.

If you're going with the 250hp you have a choice of either. I'd go with the dealer you trust is going to give you the best price and dealer support.

Don't forget that if you change manufacturers (i.e. go from Merc to Yamaha or Evinrude to Merc), you may need to change out the gauges, wiring harness, control cables, prop ... -- added cost.

Tom

Comment

200 or 225 will work. this particular mechanic says he is seeing the HDPI's come in after a single season of salt water looking like they are 10 years old. He swears the quality of fittings has gone down.

quote:

Originally posted by Prop Blast

Pete,

Tom

Comment

..."this particular mechanic says he is seeing the HDPI's come in after a single season of salt water looking like they are 10 years old. He swears the quality of fittings has gone down."

I got to believe that mechanic is nuts -- or he sees engines operated by owners who don't take care of their equipment. The resistance of materials in todays outboards to corrision is 10x what is was in the early 90s -- regardless of whether they're 2-stroke EFI/DFI or 4-stroke.

If he's seeing new HPDIs looking like they're 10 years old, the owners are not taking care of them. A decent washing with soap & water after a trip, along with flushing and a spray of silicone on the lower section will keep 99% of engines looking new.

Tom
                Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with the Merc Opti right now. Its as good as the rest of them if not better. Its suppoed to be a very good/fast motor and easy on fuel.
                  Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

my 200 optimax (2000) ran like atop and was one of the least problems i have ever had with an engine.Warranty covered a beat injector once.. thats it.. thrifty and fast.
                    1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Working...
                    X