size does matter!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• size does matter!!

Getting down to proping my new suzuki 225 four -stroke on the back of my 232-b mako. My man is starting with 21" prop and looking for 5500rpm.The shop is good and helpful and have confidence with with the rig job, their just not expertienced with proping alot of these "new" engines.. Any input about size and proping experience is appreciated..Sounds like alot of prop and i understand the suzukis are geared a little "different" need some help and experience boys!!Havent run the boat yet until tommorrow,waiting for prop!!See my delemia?[!]
    1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Andy,

Thought you upped to the 250HP?

Have you sea trailed it yet?

Bob
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Couldnt justify the 1200$ and a new t-top was real appealing!!!Waiting for prop info and delivery of what i hope will be the "only" prop and not the "First"!

Comment

I'm guessing it'lltake a 19P at the most but probably closer to a 17P. Not sure what the gear reduction is for Suzuki.. Even if its 2:1 the 19P will be alot of wheel.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

If I remember from my research I think it's more like 2.3 : 1.0

Bob
          Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Andy,

The gear ratio of the Suzuki is probably different from my Yamaha F225, but I'm running Yamaha's SWS prop, size 17M on my 224 w/ T-Top and it's about as close as I can get. The 17M is 14.5in with a 17 pitch.

Max RPMs for the F225 is 6,000 at WOT. With a full load (3 pax, 80 gallons of fuel) I get 5,800 RPMs and 42MPH. I forget my fuel burn at WOT, but at 4,000 RPMs I'm cruising at 31mph and burning 10GPH based on my Floscan.

Not sure what the specs for the Suzuki are, but I'd start with a 17 and then if you're turning too many RPMs, get a 19. I can't see any reason to think about putting a 21 on.

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Tom
            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Remember,

If using a Suzuki wheel, they are ODD to say the least in the way they mark their wheels. A Suzi 21P is probably like an 18/19P from any other make. Where they get their numbers I dont know but they overstate the pitch.

Just food for thought....
              1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

AS always, thanks guys,,The big dog from suzuki,who by the way was very east to get to by phone, explained that he personally ran the tests and data from boat tries and the 20-21" is the way togo..Im tempted to believe makoriders explain and start there .. Thanks

Comment

Andy,

As long as the dealer is willing to change out props until you're satisfied -- no big deal...

Tom []
                  Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Suzukis do swing a bigger prop then most other engines. I ran a 26 pro kat with twin 200 suzi 4 strokes and it was running 21 pitch props and tacking out at 5800 rpms.
                    Slidell, La

Comment

asa usual,you set my mind...at ease..

Comment

Working...
                      X