Should I jump ship?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I jump ship?????

Having just replaced the lower unit on my mako224 and the expense of the slip and all of the expenses of owning and operating a 224 with a 225 HP carborated motor has me considering selling my mako and getting a brand new Boston Whaler 17 Montauk.

I absolutely love my mako. I basically built this boat myself and have constantly upgraded it every year since I got it 5 years ago. The realities of the money needed to fund my Mako obsession are starting to set in.

If I get the whaler my annual fuel expenses would go from about $1500 per year to a couple of hundred at most as the whaler cruises at about 6 miles per gallon and only carries 13 gallons while my mako carries 122 gallons and gets less than 2 mpg at cruise. If I get the whaler I would probably trailer the rig which would save me a pile of money on dockage and insurance and if I got a slip for it it would be significantly less money. If I get the whaler I would have a brand new boat and motor and should get at least a few good years with little or no maintainance while my mako requires constant upkeep.

I should mention that my fishing patterns and lifestyle have changed in the past few years. This season my mako never went beyond the inlet as I am now only using the boat for backwater fishing. I am captaining a much larger offshore boat as a part time job so I don't need to use my own boat anymore to get my offshore fix. The whaler would be better suited to fishing the backwaters. I also have alot less time to fish my mako due to my career and family obligations.

The biggest thing that I am torn about is that if I sell the mako and decide 4 years from now that I want to run my own boat offshore I would have to spend a pile of money to get back into a boat that is anywhere close to the quality of the rig I already have.

I am so confused!!!!!![(#)][(#)][(#)][(#)]

What should I do???????[?][?][?]

Never sell a Mako unless you are buying a better Mako, just one opinion do wht you have to do.
    1983 21b[br]Waveland,MS

Comment

Keep it. Trailer it if it makes you feel any better.

Oh ya, I heard Whalers will pound you to death. The baby Whaler I was on in the spring only got you wet[:-(]
      2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

Let's see....

"Love my mako...built this boat myself...mako obsession" Aren't you the guy that says the 224 is the best fishing platform on the planet?

How long would it take you to regret selling it?...about 10 seconds is my guess and maybe less if you get on the 17 Whaler in less than 10 seconds.

Do what you have to do considering family and career, but from the tone of your message keep it if at all possible financially. If things are that bad, how can you afford a new Whaler? If it's not really the money but more the fishing patterns, maybe look for a smaller Mako and pour your heart into it.

Put the slip money into a trailer and cut back on the annual upgrades (not upkeep) to save some money.

Decide well my friend and don't look back.

-ddrummer

1985 20C
        -Bizz[br]1985 20C[br]Charlotte, NC

Comment

Mako

In the past year or so I lost my oldest child an best freind in motorcycle wrecks.

I still have my harley. even thow I no longer ride. It's still in the shop. An the shop is full of makos. even thow I don't ride it. It's still mine if I should choose to ride agin it's waiting on me

regret is sad heart with out tears
          Slim[br]Lafayette [br]1973 19-6 Aquasport[br]An a few Makos[br]

Comment

No, No.NO.

Comment

Between the owner of this marina and his nephew, there are four(1) boston whaler montauk 17's here. I don't much care for the boat. That modified-v tri-hull whatever-you-call-it along with the flat bow didn't make me comfortable. In close-quarter maneuvering the boat tended to slide sideways like a flat-bottomed jon-boat. The 4- and 5- meter Rigid Hull Inflatables i drove in the CG felt more stable than that thing.

You want a 17-footer? try a classic Mako 17!
              \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

You will be very unhappy with that downgrade.
                1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

If you love it, keep it. The upgrading and maintenance is half the fun. It is almost impossible to buy a new boat that is just the way you want it, you will end up spending more to get it the way you want it. If you wish your Mako were different, or it can’t do what you want it to, sell it.

Maybe you just need to spend more quality time with your Mako!
                  Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

My boat prior to this was a 16 whaler. I always had other rides offshore so i felt it was all I needed to river fish. Im so glad I sold that and bought my Mako. We often see guys out on little boats and smile that we are in our Mako,
                    1987 231 with 200 Yamaha[br]Stuart, Fl

Comment

If you're determined to move down to a 17' trailer-able boat, and still want to go 'outside' occasionally, consider the 17 Dusky Open Fisherman. It's less expensive than the Whaler, has a 20 degree deadrise so it'll handle the rough water with a better ride, and has a 12" draft for working the skinnier water.

Its no Mako, but its a tough boat in its own right.

Good luck with your decision.
                      Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Put it on a trailer and keep it.
                        Ole Joe
                        Just floundering around
                        White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                        1978 Mako 25

Comment

I sold my Whaler 17 to get a Mako and haven't looked back once. The Whaler was ok for going water skiing or the afternoon fishing trip, but it has absolutely NO storage so everything you bring ends up getting wet. If you down grade, at least get something with some storage. What do you plan on doing with your boat?
                          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                          1985 Mako 20c - sold
                          Fort Walton Beach, FL
                          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I have fished on several Montauks over the years and have borrowed my friend's 1968 Seconnet on numerous occasions. The whalers are great bay boats. Yes they pound in choppy conditions. The vast majority of the fishing I have been doing when fishing my own boat is in the creeks and backwaters of the marshes behind Ocean City and Atlantic City NJ. I rarely fish open water at all as I key in on shoreline structure and most of the stripers I catch are hooked within 25 feet of shore. The Mako 224 I own is a little cumbersome for this type of fishing and I have to worry about getting stuck from time to time. I would actually really like to have a flats boat as that would be best suited for my style of fishing. The fact that I have small children prevents me from going to a flats boat.

Prior to getting my gig running an offshore boat on the side my 224 could be found almost every weekend in the summer anywhere from 15 to 45 miles from shore. For this type of fishing and occasional backwater fishing there is no better boat than the 224 but if all I am going to do is fish the backwaters there are better suited boats.

Another factor I failed to mention in my previous post was my desire to do some long distance trailering down to Florida for the winter to the Melbourne area where my father could use it and I could use it durring winter visits and take it down to the Keys and everglades.

I have looked at some of the smaller Mako project boats on the site and I do get tempted. 19 foot Makos are a dime a dozen here in South Jersey. 17s seem to bring a premium here.

I just don't know what to do. I am so confused!!!!!

Comment

I know what I'd do... Keep it. The 224 is the boat that I originally wnated. I settled for the 21B... Wish I wouldn't have. Too late now. Gonna keep the 21B and make it the coolest 21 on the planet. When I win the lotto, I'll get... a Mako 261 (I'll have lots on $$$ left over for motors!) and turn it into the coolest 261 on the planet.
                              Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Working...
                              X