• Show
Clear All

• New member seeking some control(s)

Hello to all on Classic Mako,

My great friend Capt.Andy,a" Legend in these parts"

turned me on to this site.

I have a Parker 2520 XL and thier is'nt a Classic Parker.Com

for me to turn to,so I'm grateful for this Forum

I'm having a T-Tower installed on top of the pilot house and am looking for input on what type of controls would best suit the needs of controlling my 225 four stroke yamahauler,and where I might look for such controls?

Sincerly,

Capt.Joe
    Capt.Joe Shultz, Venice Fla.[br]

Welcome joe,we dont discriminate boats here and im sure you will have fun on the fourm,,Will research some stuff,i always love helping you spend $$$!! Hopefully these guys will play and throw that corna-copia of knowledge your way,its like family..minus most of the dysfunction. []
    1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Joe, welcome to the forum. I'm not a Yamaha control expert, but heres what I'd do. You are probably gonna need to get with a Yamaha dealer and at least see what you'll need to put the 2nd control station in the tower. As to where to buy the stuff, shop around after that to look for the best prices because I can guarantee that a Yamaha dealer marks their stuff up big time.

As for owning a Parker, they are fine boats that are built to last the test of time. A good friend of mine has been fishing a 25 Parker CC since 1993. he has over 1500 hrs onthe original Merc 200's. Its a great boat. There is another member here who is a die hard Parker owner... Megabyte. Check him out some time as well.

Its a shame that you have to have a friend like Capt. Andy[][:x)]. Hehehe! Andys a great guy, glad he put you onto our site.
      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Did someone call? []

capt.joe... I don't have any info for you just yet, but I should within the next couple of weeks. My 2520 MVSC with 225 OX66 will be getting a cockpit steering station this winter (the only factory option that it didn't come with), so essentially I'm doing the same thing as you - just in a different spot on the boat.

Many of the boats I've seen in my area use the twin-stick Teleflex Morse controls. I imagine that if you can hook up a second station with a single or dual-stick Morse control, you may be able to do it with the single-stick Yamaha control as well, but I haven't seen any yet.

I'm in the early stages of investigating controls just as you are. I want to make sure that I get a quality cockpit control. I also want to make sure that what I install will work with whatever motor I repower with down the road.

At this point I'm still trying to figure out why most folks seem to go with the twin-stick controls rather than a single... Maybe some of the folks here can shed some light on that one.

Here is a site I've found with info on the various Morse controls, so you can compare them.

http://www.seamar.com/mengine.html

Good luck, and please share anything you might learn on the subject!
        Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Thankyou to ringleader and to megabyte for the much apreciated info

and input[]. I will check out that website you listed for me.

I'm looking forward to this project and will post anything that I find as well. Again thanks for your help!!!!!

Comment

I'm Back.[]

You have several options. I'm pretty sure Yamaha has a new controler that allows dual stations. After that You can use your stock control and add this unit to it. http://www.techmarine.com/

This is what I plan to use. I don't know a lot about the company. They have only been around for about a yaer to the best of my knowledge.

You still have other options. Morse KE-4 system is sweet. It's expensive too.

Comment

Great to see you back!
              Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Comment

You won't be disappointed with Morse controls. Especially when the control will be out in the weather such as your planning. The first set that were on my boat went from 1978 to 2003 (25 years) before replacing. You have several options of cable quality available. Replacement part kits and neutral safety switches are available. Simply wire your tilt/trim to a waterproof switch up top and your ready.
                Ole Joe
                Just floundering around
                Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
                1978 Mako 25, Sold

Comment

If you go with a full cable system. IE not elec.

Get new cables for the whole thing and install nothing but,

Teleflex X-Treams. I know know of 3 people that have taken my recommendation and they are thrilled with the performance that they give.

Smooth,sweet control. They can turn a tighter radius than any Morse's.

Yes I know the Teleflex bought out Morse.

http://www.teleflexmorse.com/scripts...ontrolMKIV.pdf

Comment

I definately need to specify the Teleflex X-Tream cables, but I'm still in the dark about which control to pick. I like the simplicity of the single lever control, but I see a lot of the twin lever controls out there. There must be a reason... (or is there?)
                    Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Yamaha is the only manafacture that makes a single lever dual station as far as I know. I have seen it before, but can't find the imfo now.

My buddy kevin has a single 225 Suzuki 2 stroke and twin stations.

He has 2- Morse dual controls. 1-stick to put it in gear and 1-stick to give it throttle. the top control slaves to the bottom control and then it goes from there back to the motor. It will be weird for you at first, after having a single control. It will be no time that you will be used to it and not grab the wrong stick. I can't say that for guests on your boat. I have to watch some of them close on Kevins boat. They want to pull it out of gear at higher RPM, unstead of slowing the motor first.

They don't, at least his doesn't pull out of gear at higher RPM's easily. I assume this is due to the load aginst the gears. However it can be pulled out at 2000RPM. He has this model.Twin-S.

http://www.teleflexmorse.com/Marine/default.asp?ID=20

It's about the cheapest route to go, but you will need a new trim switch for the motor, as it is not on this control.

Comment

This is so awesome getting all this input.

Thanks so much,you fellas are helping and saving me alot of research

and grief with your much valued expierence[].I,m new to this internet thing and have much trouble finding things I,m looking for.

This Forum just might change my life[].

Thanks again for you help!!!!!!!!!!

Capt.Joe

Venice,FL.

Comment

Capt. Joe,

Being in the boat building industry for 11+ years, I hope my input helps you out. The Yamaha standard control box is and has been the smoothest control around. For a good number of years, morse even made adapters to fit that control to every outboard made. Yamaha does make a single outboard dual control box, however, like everything else with Yamaha, it will cost a pretty penny. I worked for Action Craft Flats boats when the towers first came into the flats world and we would put dual stations on quite a few flats boats. Hope my info helps, but plan on spending a few $$ for the yamaha parts.

Weedy

Pround new owner of a classic 19' Mako
                          Proud Daddy of a 1974 Mako 19\'[br]Support the country YOU live in, or live in the country you support

Comment

Welcome aboard Weedy. Please put your hometown/state in your siginature.[]

Comment

Gosh, Warthog, you are one tough moderator. [] Actually I feel both rather privilaged and left out in the same sentence. No one has ever asked me if I really existed or if I had a hometownor just a floating place to call my home. [:-(] Heck I don't even see where I could even put it here. [:-(]O I do feel the love here, though. [xo]

Who knows, I may have some answers to Parker boats, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X