FCV-600L Color LCD Fishfinder__or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCV-600L Color LCD Fishfinder__or ?

I am looking at a Furuno - FCV-600L Color LCD Fishfinder and have a couple of questions:

1. Where can I get the best price on one?

2. Are ant of you guys using this unit?

3. How is the Furuno - FCV-600L Color LCD Fishfinder

,for bottom fishing? Deatil? etc. at 200-300ft.? Or Stripe

fishing at 10-20 ft.?

4. I would like to use a bronze thru hull, but, I understand that

the standard transome mount transducer can be epoxied in the

bilge as long as it's level?

Any and all input is welcome!

Also, if anyone can suggest other sounders that I should consider, please let me know. In case anyone is wondering, my chartplotter is a Garmin 182C. Very happy with it but would like a bigger screen.

Progress is being made on the 79 Mako 23'... Pix to follow soon.

Bob
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Wow! I just read my post. Either I can't type or I can't spell...

Good thing I know how to phish.[:u]
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

I don't have any specific, hands-on experience with that model Furuno, but I understand that it's an excellent one for the money if it meets your needs.

I believe it's RMS power rating (not peak -- that rating is meaningless) is 300 or 350w RMS. That's adequate for most applications. But if you're looking at getting good bottom resolution at 200-300', you might want to consider a unit with more power. I have gone bottom fishing on a Mako 261 with a Furuno 582 and was amazed at what that machine could pick up.

Proper installation of the transducer, regardless of whether it's transom mounted, through hull, or glassed in is very important as well.

Good Luck,

Tom
      Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I'm still learnin on my 600 L. So far so good. We are looking at the bottom in 235' (max so far to date) and we are seeing the fish and very good bottom readings. This is using auto mode in 200K. I am also shooting thru the hull. I'll be the first to admit that I have a lot of learning to do but to date I'm much happier with this unit over my CVS 106. I do however have a minor fogging problem and will send the unit back after the season is over.
        2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

Hey bob Andy here.. Just left surprise inspection of new motor and yours is there and hes packing it all up!! Really nice guy and i am very comfortable with them..Afew greasy finger prints on it here and there... I have two of the same units and its long cosidered stable entry level fish -finder and works great.. very simple manual features and learn them.. the auto mode works well but to tweak it you need manual settings . In deeper water use the 50 k side , i have hundreds of trips on that unit and with anything,interpratation is everything.. the machine is waterproof!!My commercial boat, the LEGACY is wet and the windows leak and unit gets alot of exposure as well as getting pounded,never a problem..The bronze thru hull is better And i dont mean the transducer epoxy deal.. spend the extra and do it right.I get a better reading than on my mako which has transom,especially in deeper water.I love the unit.
          1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

I have one too. I like it very much and I doubt I'd ever need more power or depth from it. I have read the bottom in good detail down to 650 feet in the manual mode. I have also used mine in 3,000+ feet of water but had the depth set to 400 feet when I was looking for Yellowfin Tuna around deep water rigs.

In the depth range you referred, it will do just fine set in the auto mode too.
            Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Comment

Where's the best place to buy one? Best price with bronze thru hull that is.

Andy,

Glad you stopped in. I spoke with Marla yesterday and she's very nice. She said she could get it to me next month sometime. I told her that was fine as I am not ready to ang it anyway. I am looking for a drop off/delivery point. May have one worked out.

By the way, I sold the Mako 20!! It's being picked up next Tuesday afternoon.

Let me know how the 250 goes.... I'm sure we all want to know.

bc

Comment

Andy,

BTW, Will the rigging tubes from the transom to the motor be coming up also. The two big ones for steering hoses, fuel , shift cables, etc. If not where can I get some?

bc

Comment

Using them on new install bob, you can purchase at most any marine supply.Dont have any link for you,try local dealer,most shops have them laying around or check west

marine for the plange plates that go into transom,i have seen them in stainless recently some where.As far as price,BOATS US , WEST MARINE will match each others price and i believe you can get free shipping on items over 100$ Also, if you sign up for west advantage i believe you can get another 10% at point of sale...check it out[]

And its Karla, not Marla....Hope its just a typo!!Look for the unit for about 799.00 and bronze thru -hull???
                  1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Yes, it's Karla. Really busy here today! My typing is worse than my spelling I guess...

thanks-

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob-

I have the Furuno FCV 600L...and it is a great unit. I just need to solve my transducer problems and I will be happy.

Best price will probably be Consumers Marine Electronics in Wall, NJ. If I were you, I would call and order on the phone during the NY Boat show and you will be sure to get the best price. Phone number is 1-800-332-2628.

Good luck.

Ed

Comment

I have the Furuno 600L on my boat and it works great in the Chesapeake Bay. I can recommend it.

As for where to buy... go to http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store/home.php and tell YachtJim that I sent ya. [] Great prices, great selection, and great customer service!

Good luck!
                        Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Annie2,

Regarding the transducer, mount through the hull. If you put that much money into the transducer, take every thing it will give you. Yes, it will shot through the hull, but --- you'll never know what you missed. Just my 2 cents worth.
                          Ole Joe
                          Just floundering around
                          White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                          1978 Mako 25

Comment

PowerBoat Reports rated that unit very high for the money.

http://www.furuno.com/Furuno/Doc/0/I...ember-2003.pdf

I always run my units in manual mode. As said you can tweak them better.

If I run into deeper water, I just bump the scale button.

I wanted a unit with knobs on it so I can tweak it more and the 582L is found on commersial boats a little more, so that's what I bought.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I have now officially decided on the Furuno FCV 600L.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X