2003 282 transom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 282 transom

Last November I purchased a used 2003 282 center console with twin 1999 225 Ficht Evinrudes (216 hrs) from a broker in south Florida. The hull was new with a full 5 year warranty and was part of a settlement due to a hull problem on a 1999 282. I have a MSO stating that the boat was build April 24 of 2003. I was also told the boat was build to "commercial strength specifications". When I asked what this meant I was told that the boat has 7 layers of fiberglass rather than 5. I called Mako to see if the HIN denoted this option. The person I spoke to did not know. I spoke to several different dealers who did not know either. Does any one know? I have started to notice small craze lines on the transom and hull. I owned a 254 Mako which had the same craze lines but it was 20 years old. Is this typically of all Makos? I have read several entries on ClassicMako.Com Forums about transom problems. What do I need to look for? As for the Evinrudes (270 hrs now), They have been great. I know you think that I am crazy, but all recalls and computor updates have been done FREE OF CHARGE and the boat runs great. Any info on transom or commercial strength specs. please let me know.

Thanks,

Lingcuisine 282 Mako 03
    Home Port: Gulfport, MS[br]Past Boats:[br]-1983 254 Mako(Best Ride) Sold[br]-2003 282 Mako ( 2nd Best Ride) Sold[br]-1992 261B (Best Looking) Sold[br]-2004 24 Cape Horn (Fastest)Sold[br]-1999 27 World Cat Sold[br]-1995 16 Cape Horn Sold[br]-1985 238 Walkaround Mako Sold[br]-1999 26 Glacier Bay Sold[br]-1997 21 Sea Cat Sold[br]-1996 22 Glacier Bay Sold[br]-2003 330TE World Cat Sold[br]-2006 230 World Cat Sold[br]-2003 24 Cape Horn sold[br]-2002 266SF World Cat sold[br]-2017 31T Cape Horn current boat[br]-2003 18 Cape Horn Bay Series current boat

Look at this thread...http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...?TOPIC_ID=1716 Have heard some problems similiar in nture to yours ,dig thru topics of last 30 days and take a look..[8]
    1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

With the trustworthy information I have reciently recieved, and the year of your hull, It sounds like you have Nothing to worry about. Hope you have continued great luck with those OMC.s I was a loyal owner of John-Rudes for over 36 years.

Jim
      June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

Thanks for responding so soon. I was not sleeping well worried that my transom was doomed to fall off. Any info on "commercial strength specs".
        Home Port: Gulfport, MS[br]Past Boats:[br]-1983 254 Mako(Best Ride) Sold[br]-2003 282 Mako ( 2nd Best Ride) Sold[br]-1992 261B (Best Looking) Sold[br]-2004 24 Cape Horn (Fastest)Sold[br]-1999 27 World Cat Sold[br]-1995 16 Cape Horn Sold[br]-1985 238 Walkaround Mako Sold[br]-1999 26 Glacier Bay Sold[br]-1997 21 Sea Cat Sold[br]-1996 22 Glacier Bay Sold[br]-2003 330TE World Cat Sold[br]-2006 230 World Cat Sold[br]-2003 24 Cape Horn sold[br]-2002 266SF World Cat sold[br]-2017 31T Cape Horn current boat[br]-2003 18 Cape Horn Bay Series current boat

Comment

Lingcuisine-

Have never heard the "commerical line" story on the 282's. Is it possible the broker was blowing smoke up your arse?

Should have kept the 254....my buddy owns one and he completely restored it (helps that he owns a restoration shop). That boat is built like a tank and rides well in the chop. Supposedly, the Mako 254's from 83-84 were not only designed and built for fishing but also to go after the environmental police/marine patrol boat etc. that Boston Whaler was gobbling up at the time. Again, this is all hearsay....but I wonder if George Poveromo or maybe if we could ever get ahold of him, Robert Schwebke, could fill us in on the details, timeline, history, etc.

I am sure your 282 will be fine. Call the factory, tell them about the problem, document the problem (pictures, hire marine surveyor), hire an attorney now (just to keep them honest) and make sure they schedule to have it repaired at a well respected warranty repair facility.

Comment

Commercial Specs...

Mako and Boston Whaler for a number of years had contracts with the US Coast Guard and various Marine/Fish & Game Depts and LEOs around the country. In addition, they scored contracts with governments around the world to build small patrol craft for their navies and coastal units. I believe the US Navy also bought some boats.

Those boats were built to a higher spec, i.e. more glass & resin for increased strength and reinforcement in order to take the "day to day" pounding these types of boats incurred. In addition, this facilitated the mounting of "non-sporting equipment" such as M2 .50 cal machine guns, Mk 19 grenade launchers, radars ... Just remember, radar arches on small recreational sportfishing boats was unheard of in the 80s. Now you see them on 20-22 footers!

Several brouchures I've seen over the years state that a regular recreational customer could special order their boat with the increased construction -- have not seen it in a while, but they probably still do it.

Tom
            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Make sure those engines are fully updated. Evinrude fixed the problems with their large displacement Ficht engines, but not until 2001 (I think).

The basic problem was in the head design, which allowed fuel to be sprayed directly on the spark plug tip. After long hours of idling (read trolling) the plugs would foul and the engine would stop running.

They fixed it by building a diverter into the head just in front of the spark plugs. This small design flaw cost them the whole company. From what I remember, Evinrude and now Bombardier have committed to updating all the faulty engines.

Also, regarding your cracks read this: http://www.boatus.com/consumer/defectivecongress.asp

Do you know why there are 1999 engines mounted on a 2003 hull?
              [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

This past weekend I did some investigating. There are several 262's and 282's in dry storage with my boat. The 1st boat I looked at (a 2000 282 ) was very different from my 282. The 1st difference I noticed was the aluminum reinforcements used on my boat and not on the older boat. The older boat had only large washers between the transom and the bolt heads that hold the motors. On my 2003 282 there is a full length (approx. 1/4 inch thick) piece of aluminum between the washers and the transom. On the top outer egde of the transom there is a full length very well finished piece of alumimun that covers the fiberglass corner. On the 2000 282 there was just plain transom with several deep crack/crazelines on the top and inside and out. I could tell there had been several attempts to repair this area. The other difference I notice was the amount of fiberglass in th transon/bilge area. There appeared to be more woven fiberglass looking material (I am no fiberglass expert). There was more bulk around the stringers and throughout the transom floor. The stringers appeared to be larger with more of the woven looking material around them. There was difinitely a diffence. As for the crazelines on my boat, they are much smaller (hair-like) and fewer when compared to the older boat.

Someone asked about 1999 Fichts on a 2003 282!

Here is the story. The boat was orginally a 1999 282 with 1999 Fichts. After a law suit battle, Mako replaced the 1999 hull (not sure what the problem was) with a "commercial strenght spec." 2003 hull (supposedly noted in the law suit). Mako put the 1999 T-top,1999 Fichts,1999 center console, 1999 leaning post on the 2003 hull. The gentleman that owned the boat, not trusting any local mako dealers, took the boat to a local Grady/White dealer to have the boat completely checked out after the boat was reassembled. All checked out fine. He then sold the boat to me through a broker in South Florida. I was the 1st person to registrer the boat. I made sure that I receiced a MSO stating the date and year the boat was build. And with the history, I adjust the price which was finally accepted. So far the boat has been great.

Comment

Jeff,

Sounds like you got a good deal.

Enjoy!

Prop Blast
                  Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Just a thought - you may want to have a marine surveyor look at the transom to make sure that your boat is ok.
                    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                    1985 Mako 20c - sold
                    Fort Walton Beach, FL
                    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
                    X