Water in the bilge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in the bilge

I have a 1984 238 walk around cuddy cabin. We have a constant problem of water filling up in the transom area and eventually getting into the bilge. It is managable, but it is a cause of concern for me. I am not sure where the water is leaking from, but does anyone out there have similar issues and if so, what do you reccommend?

Matt
    1984 238[br]Mission Viejo, California

Matt Your just going to have to do some serching. I'd take the boat to the ramp on a weekday when it's not busy. Open the bildge area up. Have someone else back the boat in the water, while you watch in the bildge.

Comment

I need to do that. We found the initial problem was the rigging cables were entering the side transom below the water line. Water was pouring in through the boot. We had them moved up and that seemed to help quite a bit. I have replaced two or three deck hatches thinking that was the problem. I will take your advice. It is a never ending problem. With the old transom design we constantly have water in the transom area. Thanks.

Matt

Comment

What kind of inspection hatchs do you have in the splashwell? I'f their round pie plates, replace with Aemstrong pie plates. They are truely waterproof.

Comment

That is one I have not tried. It is on the to do list. Thanks again.

Comment

Not only is it a super sealer, but it has NO frame. Therefore it gives you a bigger hole to work thru. http://www.armstrongnautical.com/

Comment

If you have open bottom rod holders on the boat that drain eventually into the bulge these can add lots of water during washdowns or from just a rainstorm. The older Makos came with plugged rodholders so this was not a problem on them but I imagine that the newer boats don't have these as they usually are more expensive. Hope this helps -

Mike
              1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
              X