Bottom Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom Paint

I've got a question for you experts. My 1975 23' Mako CC has blue anti-fouling paint on the bottom. I keep my boat on a trailer all the time and only in the water on a per day basis. Is this paint slowing me down or reducing the performance/speed of the boat? By how much and should I care?
    Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Bottom paint dosn't slow you down enough to even matter. A customer of mine spent 3500 bucks having us strip the paint off his hull and gained a whopping knot.

Comment

I will disagree on the effects of bottom paint. Of course it depends on how much is there. I do know for a fact that on one brand new boat it slowed the boat by 3 NMPH. On another boat that was stripped and redone, the speed to plane was reduced and the top end gained.
      2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

It depends on a couple of factors:

1. Type of paint used.

2. How much paint is there.

If it's been on for a while, it probably isn't doing much to slow you down. An Ablative paint, such as MICRON will wear off over the years.

As already stated, it's EXPENSIVE to have it removed professionally. I just sanded mine down (wearing a respirator!) as much as possible and then reapplied fresh MICRON CSC to the areas that are exposed for the sake of appearance: transom, forward keel/bow and the sides. The rest I ignore.

Prop Blast
        Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Bwana64

I've got a question for you experts. My 1975 23' Mako CC has blue anti-fouling paint on the bottom. I keep my boat on a trailer all the time and only in the water on a per day basis. Is this paint slowing me down or reducing the performance/speed of the boat? By how much and should I care?

Not that my expertise is computational fluid dynamics however, with certainty I can say any substrate with a pronounced porosity is going to contribute to the drag coefficient of your hull. This being said, yes, you will be able to tell a difference in boat speed but not handling between a clean glass hull and one that’s been painted. This is especially true if your paint is the typical two-part epoxy formula that’s been applied with a roller (dried finish kind of a rough orange peel texture). If the boat is used for anything other than racing, I wouldn’t be concerned.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I don't think I'm gonna worry about it.
            Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Comment

Working...
            X