26.....28__mako__???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26.....28__mako__???

hi all is there a big difference between the 26 and 28 cc besides beam????? thanks jim www.arctekmarine.com [88]
    www.arctekmarine.com 203 982 6322 bethany,ct custom t tops /leaning posts/ arches/hardtops/towers etc

Jim,

Need more information. Which 26' and which 28'? Mako made several versions over the years. Some 28's were inboards as well.

I wouldn't touch the latest version of the 28' Mako, the 282. There are serious design and construction flaws in the transom area.

Tom
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Prop Blast: with all due respect, are you going by what you have read, or what you have seen. The 282 Boat to start all of this was a Blem hull. sold 3 times and then to a lawyer who could not get warranty service.

I agree there is a problem! it sounds like with very limited # of hulls. To liken it to the Firestone tires is unfair. We have 6 282's in our club dating back to 1998, none seem to be problematic yet all will be retro-ed.

Why is the recall only to 2001, Nothing in the construction changed between 01 and 03.!

We are Hopefully getting ours beefed up reguardless. I would like to see a problem 282 boat firsthand. (other than the 253's falling apart) Now that one Should be a recall and isnt.?
      June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

Jim,

Yes, I have two friends here in Tampa with 282's. They both have "cracking" at the transom -- no one is sure at this time how bad the problem is. I also saw a 293 with cracks last week. I don't know the owner, so I can't comment on that.

My issue with the 282's hull is that there is no way of knowing if the transom is a "problem one". After you've put 1,000 pounds of engine on the back it's too late! I'm certainly not willing to bet $80+K on it. That hull and the 262 were examples of Mako trying to transition to the "Euro Transom" design on the cheap by simply adding a new style transom and console to the old tried & true 241 and 261 -- both great hulls. However, by not poperly reinforcing the new transom sufficiently, there is at least a superficial problem -- and a possibility of more significant ones.

Mako appears to have known there was a problem -- the 282 is no longer made and Mako Marine stated in their ads that there was a "new, updated 28' on the way for spring 2004" -- but where is it?

As far as "Blem hulls" go, Mako NEVER should have sold them. They should have taken a chainsaw to any hull that did not meet specs. Talk about a fast way to ruin your reputation.

No one would be happier than me to see Mako regain it's reputation. I hope everything on your boat works out.

BTW...where in my post do I compare Mako Marine to Firestone Tire Corp?

Tom

Comment

Quote Prop Blast;

"Talk about a fast way to ruin your reputation."

I have had a lot of experience with the Tracker Marine Group and I've seen plenty of e-mails that were sent to them by concerned boaters.....they don't give a big rip about there reputation. I have SEEN the misleading comments they have made about my boat to many people.

I have been searching for SeaCrafts that are for sale and I have found a number of them that have the aluminum angle on the top of the transom like they did on mine when they half heartly attempted to repair it.

Both the Mako's and SeaCraft's that are having problems were designed in 1997. I know the later SeaCraft have plenty of re-enforced from the inside, so again you can see they know they have a problem.

I hate to keep ripping these two boats Mako and SeaCraft, but until the parent company steps ups and takes care of their problem boats I feel I must make a little noise when ever I can.

I'd hate for someone to go though what I have been and they not be warned first. I wish someone would have told me.....I might still bought the boat because I like the SeaCraft so much. I may have risked it any way?!?
          Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Comment

I don't want to drag this string on unnecessarily, but Tracker Marine is shooting themselves in the foot with problems like these and have run their reputation into the ground.

Sea Craft and Mako WERE top drawer fishing boats in the 70's and 80's. They stood by the product. Traker Marine's mentality now is to ignore design and manufacturing shortfalls and hope no one brings them up. The market place has responded...

Let me take you back to a start up car company that first produced cars in the early 90s. The first year they produced cars there were isolated problems with the brake system. How did they respond? They proactively initiated a recall of all models and fixed them at no charge to the customer. The company's name? Lexus -- not a bad reputation to have!

I'm done...

Prop Blast

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Manasotamako

Prop Blast: with all due respect, are you going by what you have read, or what you have seen. The 282 Boat to start all of this was a Blem hull. sold 3 times and then to a lawyer who could not get warranty service.

I agree there is a problem! it sounds like with very limited # of hulls. To liken it to the Firestone tires is unfair. We have 6 282's in our club dating back to 1998, none seem to be problematic yet all will be retro-ed.

Why is the recall only to 2001, Nothing in the construction changed between 01 and 03.!

We are Hopefully getting ours beefed up reguardless. I would like to see a problem 282 boat firsthand. (other than the 253's falling apart) Now that one Should be a recall and isnt.?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Manasotamako

just to set the record straight, the vessel was sold new to one owner, who then sold it to another owner. Severe hull/transom problems. A lawyer was hired by the second owner and eventually, mako gave the second owner a new hull. then, mako sold the boat to an employee, who fixed the vessel on sight, prepared a new mso which was executed by a notary on sight. this vessel was then sold by the employee to a consumer who believed that he was purchasing a demo. that owner, then sold it to us.

Comment

As I was reading this thread, something came to mind. I was at the Boat show in Boston last year and I remember talking to a seacraft rep about the 25 seacraft he was showing and how it compared to my early 70's mako and how they changed over the years. Especially with the change in ownership and the direct coorelation to quality. From what I remember him saying, these recent years Mako has been building different quality boats given whom they are building them for. He was saying for a 'BassPro' type retailer, the boats would be cheaper in price and qualtiy, being more mass produced. But for a mako dealer, the qualtiy would be slightly better. Has anyone heard this before? I'm not direcly quoting the saleperson since I'm not positive. It just sounded to me like they have been leaning towards selling quantity and not quality. Oh well, I love the lines of the boats, so I'm hooked
                  [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

I don't think you can buy a Mako or SeaCraft in Texas without buying it from Bass Pro Shop. I know I have heard there are independant dealers on the east coast, but I know of none around here.
                    Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Comment

Leslie,

Have y'all got a lawyer involed yet? I guess you know I have...I'm tried of dealing with their poor attitude!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Captn C

Leslie,

Have y'all got a lawyer involed yet? I guess you know I have...I'm tried of dealing with their poor attitude!

hey captn c,

email me.

leslie

Comment

Working...
                        X