Congressional Action taken against Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congressional Action taken against Mako

Just got my new Boat US magazine and they have a big article about "Congress imposing criminal penalties on marine industry wrongdoers". They specificiall cite the Mako 282s built from 1997 to 2001.

Direct quote from the article "Eventually the hull will fail and may result in the transom disconnecting from the hull." This is b/c the 282's transom was simply a lengthened 26 Mako and was done in very poor fashion. I really feel sorry for those that own a 282. I'll post more later.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

The article is comparing how the Firestone / Explorer problem a few years back could happen to the marine industry

http://www.boatus.com/consumer/Firestone.asp

and also cites the CO problem with houseboats (exhaust gases were plumbed under swim platforms which create deadly pockets of carbon monoxide). The article uses Mako as an example, but it certainly is amazing how they reacted and one-third of the article talks about the family's dealing with Mako.

The article does state "a CG inspector concluded that the transom extension "was not provided with adequate structual support to accomodate the weigth of the outboard engines."" These are the euro-transoms that everyone just "loves".

They should eventually post the article on boatus.com, but I couldn't find it tonight.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

My name is Jim Costa, I am the President of the Manasota Mako Owners Club inc.

I am also the proud owner of George Poveromo's last 2 "Marc VI" 282 Makos...we sold the 00 and presently own the 2002

Mako is going to retro my 2002 hull to satisfy the recall problems kicking around the net, Boat US, THT etc. I have preformed there inspection and will take her to a pro also. It appears there may be a problem when the Prior Owners extended the 26 by two feet for the euro transom.

Georges 2003 boat was shipped back to the factory, repaired, Beefed up and recertified for more power. They then added 2004 250 Merc Verado's with all the bells and whistles. Sounds like they have a solution to a "can of worms" they picked up, with a world of problems and growing pains, when they bought the company. No Im not in bed with Tracker, We have a few Members that have had their service issues with them and a number of loyal owners have bailed out to Some Other Brand. = S.O.B.

(Years ago the Clubs had "ears" within the company who not only listened but acted.) Hopefully some day before its too late they will treat there loyal Customers with respect and quality service. I know many who have moved into Mako's. and just a few who bailed....The Tide may turn soon. they better tighten their lines.

At this point Other than some paperwork that was not completed as promised, "They" seem to be somewhat cooperating verbally.. I will Keep you all posted as to any progress or regression in their actions.

Sorry to be so lengthy with this post: In a nut shell I Love my boat and I will give them a chance (benefit of the doubt) to satisfy me. Gee you would think My Title, track record, and our Clubs reputation, would mean something to them....It does for all of our other sponsors. We even have (welcome) spies at our Funaments learning how to do it and why its so popular, for S.O.B. companys. [B)]
      June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

I was treated the same way by Tracker Marine when I first started dealing with them, but it went down hill fast.

I hope you have better luck with them than I have.
        Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Comment

OOPS: I really dont want any misstatements....I was Mistaken about Georges Boat being sent back to the factory for refit...It was recertified as is as a spec boat. An insider and friend, who will remain annonamous states that "Yes a change was made on the production line" to correct any problems that might have been percieved. The Problem Hull never should have been sold. period.

I will research further information as I can, and will keep you informed. Those of you in our area who (do) have a problem, I am at this moment working on finding an "authorized repair service". via some weighty referrals for "Structural qualified" tech.

Jim
          June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

Mansato Mako-

I will save you a phone call....the best Tracker marine authorized warranty repair facility in New England is Wilco Marine Restorations in Newbury, MA (978) 465-1282. The guy who owns it is a friend of mine....but in all honesty, he is so talented, and takes a great amount of pride in his work. He is also a Mako fanatic (owns a beautiful Mako 254) and has worked on hundreds (if not a thousand) since he opened up his doors nearly 25 years ago.

You may want to think about having him do the repairs on your boat before you head back down to Florida.

Ed

Comment

Jim,

It won't matter how good a shop you find....Tracker will turn down any edstimate that totally solve what ever problem the boat/s have. I know The transom in my boat has been condemmed by a surveyor and two top tier repair shops and Tracker keep saying the same thing...nothing wrong with my boat.

Save you time and money looking for a quality repair center. They aren't interested in doing/having a quality repair done. I guaranty I could have done better work than their quality/certified repair center did!
              Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
              X