No announcement yet.

How do the early 90's 21' Deep V ride ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do the early 90's 21' Deep V ride ?

What's the ride characteristics of the early 90's 21' Deep V ?

Is it fairly stable, or does it tend to ride on either side of

the hull like so many D Vees tend to do ?

All Vee hulls will list to one side given the right situation. Trim tabs are the answer. I have a 88 21'. IMHO, one of the best riding, dryest boats ever made.

Comment

I asked about the listing issue in a previous post but nobody had a solid answer.

I have a 1985 21 with deep vee hull...the boat tends to list to the port...are trim tabs the only answer?
      1985 21B[br]Southern New Jersey

Comment

Mine lists to port as well... not much though and only while on plane. Alot of it has to do with the narrow beam at the waterline combined with the thrust of a single engine. As the prop turns in the water, the opposite reaction of its bite is placed on the hull makeing the hull lean to the other side. Trim tabs were the answer.

These hulls are very sensitive to weight distribution... but most small (narrow) Deep V hull are.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I agree with RingLeader. My 23' does the same with a single outboard. on plane it will list to port due to the single screw. the tork of the screw on the outboard turning to starbord will cause the boat to list to port. much like your hand being the prop pushing against a heavy object, as the object is moved forward, your body is pushed backwards. same effect with the single screw. trim tabs will help this and I find myself using the port tab to control the angle of entry at the bow and the listing and the starbord trim to act as a rudder to conteract the drag of the port tab to keep from pulling to one side or the other. the best thing to do is ask your passangers to pick a comfortable spot and try to stay there as much as possible. one person moving from one side to the other will throw me off and i have to re-adjust the tabs.
          Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

My '89 211 also leans to port. I find that I can reduce most (not all) of the lean using just the engine trim. Tabs will completely eliminate it.

Comment

Tabs are the answer for sure. Check out other boats like yours to see what size they are using. I have oversize on mine and they work great and need only a little trimming. Only drawback is they are very sensitive. When you are idling along and nail it if they are not trimmed close it feels like the boat will roll over. Very scary!
              Former owner of a 1986 21B Mako[br]Venice, FL

Comment

I had 12x9 Bennetts on my Mako 21 before the surgery. If I ever get her back in one piece, probably never will, but lets just say I somehow manage to do so... I am planning to put the 12x12 Bennetts on the boat.
                Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

my '94 171 lists to port on plane, too ... now I know why.

Thanks
                  Corpuscruiser[br]Northern AL[br]\'94 171

Comment

Thanks everyone...now I feel sane!
                    1985 21B[br]Southern New Jersey

Comment

I'am running the 12x12 on my 84 21b because of leaning the tabs eliminated the problem
                      84 mako 21B[br]cape coral FL.

Comment

Now that I'm the proud owner of a 93' Mako 210 D Vee, I can report

that the ride characteristics are great.

The tabs work great too.

This really seems to be a solid, dry riding boat, and it comes off

waves soft - no teeth rattling pounding.

Comment

mine too!!!!we are all idiots !!!
                          1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Working...
                          X