HIN Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIN Question

I'd seen other posts where the boat year could be identified by the last two digits of the HIN... but this one I'm not too sure about:

M172542id="Arial Black">

Obviously a 17-footer, and the only thing I can guess is that is was the two-thousand-five-hundred-forty-second one made. Any thoughts?
    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Normally the last two digits of the HIN are the year number but I know there werent any makos built in 1942 so im no help.
    Slidell, La

Comment

YIPE! I checked the title to see if it was a misprint (I got the HIN offa the previous owner's fishing lisence), and went to check the one on the boat... and much to my dismay, no HIN![:0] Last I remember, all boats are to have the HIN on the starboard side of the transom as well as some other hidden location. Well, it sure as heck ain't on the transom... and I wouldn't know where the other HIN is. Furthermore, ain't removing a HIN akin to removing a VIN? (say that five times fast)[(#)]
      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Try in the anchor locker. I believe mako hid a HIN there.
        Slidell, La

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mubikS

YIPE! I checked the title to see if it was a misprint (I got the HIN offa the previous owner's fishing lisence), and went to check the one on the boat... and much to my dismay, no HIN![:0] Last I remember, all boats are to have the HIN on the starboard side of the transom as well as some other hidden location.

Not always. If the boat was built before November 1st 1972, it won't have an HIN on the starboard transom.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

Looks like the boat could be an older model.
          Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

I have seen new 1998 Scouts that the dealer etched the number in the starb transom corner.

Comment

Well, that makes sense, Megabyte, thanks... I checked the anchor locker and all I found were spiders.

Warthog, the boat is a '71 according to the title, but apparently there is no way to confirm that on the boat!

Comment

For my '73 Mako I have a plastic plate that is pretty ratty. It was given to me by the old owner. It was rivited to the hull somewhere? there was no plate on the transom.

Comment

The HIN on my transon on my '73 22 is molded right into the top of the starboard transom gelcoat/fiberglass - about 2 inches down from the top edge. You need to look close to see it after all these years, but it is definately not a plastic or Al plate. I do have an aluminum CG plate on the CC but that only expresses max weight etc. - no HIN.
                  1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
                  X