2002Mercury__200HP__EFI enough for a Mako 23'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002Mercury__200HP__EFI enough for a Mako 23'

I just found a nice deal on a 2002 Mercury 200HP EFI. No controls no guages , no shifter. 800 hours.

I have 3 questions:

1. Is this enough to power my 79 Mako 23', Center Console? It would be mounted on a 30" setback, B-Bracket with full swim platform.

2. What do you think is a fair price given an excellent bill of health from the servicing deler?

3. Have these motors been dependable?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, I found a 1992 Johnson 225 with 600 hrs. with all guages and controls.

Your thoughts on the Johnson?

[88]

Thanks-

Bob
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Bob, still deciding on a motor for your 23??? I currently have older 200hp Rude on my 23 and I get about 41mph on the GPS with light load but I burn a lot of gas. 3500rpm = 23mph at about 2miles per gallon and 4500rpm = 28mph at about 1.5miles per gallon. I'm thinking a newer model EFI in the 200-225hp range would give me about the same performance with a 1 mile increase in miles per gallon. I.E. 3500rpm = 23ish at about 3mpg and 4500rpm = 28ish at about 2.5mpg.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I have a '92 225 Johnson on a 21B. Perfect. Personal preference here: given all things are equal (motor condition and hours) I would take a OMC over a Mercury on any given day. Cept for them first year FICHTS.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by HungOne

Bob, still deciding on a motor for your 23??? I currently have older 200hp Rude on my 23 and I get about 41mph on the GPS with light load but I burn a lot of gas. 3500rpm = 23mph at about 2miles per gallon and 4500rpm = 28mph at about 1.5miles per gallon. I'm thinking a newer model EFI in the 200-225hp range would give me about the same performance with a 1 mile increase in miles per gallon. I.E. 3500rpm = 23ish at about 3mpg and 4500rpm = 28ish at about 2.5mpg.

[(#)]

Yeah, Still trying to find a motor. Problem is Miracle Grow isn't working on the money tree.
        Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

800 hours on an '02 motor...that seems like a lot to me! Well, maybe not if it was bought in late '01. That would give it nearly three full seasons on it.

Are you able to get any information about the usage and maintenance history?

Anyway, that should be a good, dependable motor if it was taken care of. It has a solid reputation. The 200 EFI uses the same 2.5 liter block as the 135 - 175 HP outboards. The 2.5s are easy on the gas compared to the bigger Mercs.

My '02 carbed 150 has been flawless. []
          Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

The motor has been very well maintained. Owned and used by a Guide, which explains the hours. Spoke to the servicing dealer for a clean bill of health...

All seems to be in order including recent check over. The guy that is selling it repowered with a 225 HP Mercury, so he must have been happy with it..

What do you feel is a fair price for the Mercury 200 EFI, considering the hours?

Comment

Hi Bob-

According to the ABOS marine blue book.....here are the numbers on that engine...

Mercury 200 EFI Saltwater XL (25 inch shaft)

MSRP $11,859.00

Wholesale low $5,500.00

Wholesale high $6,190.00

Retail $7,614.00

Those are the prices for a motor in average condition. If the motor is banged up (cosmetically) or has more than the average numbers of hours (which it does) you are supposed to deduct between 10% and 25% depending on the condition or number of hours.

Just so you know, average usage in the Northeast is 50-60hours per season.

Good luck.

Ed

Comment

One thing ive learned about outboards is they like to be run!!Bob,800 hours is alot of use but maintained is a plus.It would definatelty scare me awaay and ive sold em with that many hours, why do think hes selling??Too many hours ,my opinion that it would have to be an exceptional deal to fly! A225 would work easier and probably make you feel better in the long run.The bracket may make a difference with lower horsepower,not to your favor!hungone is not bracketed idont think,could be wrong although his numbers seem good. Rather have an older motor workin less hard than more.Warranty,??? guages controls and rigging?? Ithink in aa polite way im saying ,keep lookin"!Really consider a 225, my 96 jonson 225 on my 95 223-b works hard enough and sucks enough fuel,i cant even imagine a 200 performance would not at all be to my liking> Andy
                1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

okay,

I'll keep looking. If anyone has a lead on a nice deal , please let me know.

Thanks for the input, that's why I 'm here!

Thanks-

Bob

Comment

capt Andy. you are correct, i'm mounted right on the transom with those numbers. when the boat is finished with the rebuild it will be on a 30" setback and I am kinda worried about the performance of the 200 back there. the motor is old but it still runs hard so I'm going to try it a couple seasons and see how I like it. If I need to upgrade, I've factored in about $5K plus resell on my 200 to upgrade to a newer 225 - 250 EFI. I'll post numbers again once my boat is back together and I have her back in the water.
                    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Hey Guys, all this talk of EFIs, Yes they are sort of Bullet proof tried and tested...But they are Gas Hogs compaired to my Optimax's

Second 282 with 225s and a world of differance, and quieter even.

They retro-d and fixed the problems that gave them the nickname "optibomb" and now full of fuel Heavy..3800rpm 30mph @ 2.8mpg [:x)] Im a happy camper and competing with the 4 strokes fuel efficiency.

one of the reasons im not going for this years 282, I will pass it on to a friend with the 250 Verados. Contact me if interested..

Jim
                      June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

Jim,

Are you selling the 225 Optimax?

If so let me know.

Thanks-

Bob

Comment

Actually no! sorry for any confusion, Im keeping my optis.(pair) The 2003 "Mark VI" 282 will be for sale after filming of two more shows and will have about 100-120 aprox hours on the new 250 Verados (pair)George put on her. had the hull recertified also for the extra power.

If interested in that package you may contact me.

Jim
                          June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

Working...
                          X