Trailer brakes - do you need them ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer brakes - do you need them ?

The brakes don't work on the trailer, and I'll be pulling about 3,300lbs total of 21' Mako on the tandem axle rig.

Is my Ford Explorer enough to stop ??

Ford Explorer will get tossed around pretty good. I wouldn't look to use it for long hauls without brakes. I don't have brakes on my trailer either, but I still get tossed around pretty good with a Chevy Z71.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I pulled my Mako 195 on a single axle trailer (4000 lbs) with a 95 Explorer and I did ok but never felt too confident until I added disc brakes. Check your state laws--they may require brakes.

Comment

It will stop it, but you will feel a world of differance with brakes on the trailer.

I'll give you my real world experance.

I had a '85 F150 regular cab and I pulled a lowboy trailer [car haul trailer] that weighed 1400lbs. I hauled my tractors on it. JD 850 & 950.

The tractors weighed about 2200lbs with the attchments on them.

I wore out front brakes on the truck very quickly and had a few close one's. I decided to put brakes on the trailer. [one axle] It was night and day diffrence.

The Exployer is a heavy truck for it's size. [almost 4Klbs]

If your normal tow to the water is like mine, under 10miles. I'd say just take your time and give plenty of room.

If your going on the road, get brakes on the trailer. Kodiak disc's is what you want.

Comment

You need to check your state regs. In Florida you are required to have them over a certain limit, but I've never seen them actually check. Probably would just throw the book at you if you caused and accident. Ringleader is correct, using an Explorer to pull a 21 Mako would not be a comfortable and borderline unsafe for long hauls. Short trips around town shouldn't be any problem.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Floridaaaaa requires brakes over 3k lbs gtw. Most of us didnt or dont up to about 5k for short hauls. Have you ever had some landlubber zig into your lane just before the stop light? and stop DEAD? or..in a rain storm, the boat can push you thru an intersection. Breaks are a welcome, in stressful situations like that.

Free Trailering tip to Follow !

Jim
            June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

See how to "can it" in my Trailering tips thread.

"old Makos never die, they just grow accesories"

Jim
              June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

I pulled my 22B all over Fl with a Cherokee with brakes. No problems. Now pulling a 21B with a Tahoe Z71 no brakes. The Chevy stops it no problem, as with any trailer towing, just don't forget the thing is back there and adjust for reaction time accordingly. If some blue hair pulls in front of you, boat or no boat, it ain't good.

Comment

My trailer breaks went out once and I towed my 4500# rig for one year without breaks in '01 f150 supercrew and had to replace my break pads twice that year. It stopped eventually and was manageable when I was in "complete control" of the driving conditions but I said enough is enough after one to many close calls with idiots pulling out in front of me and stopping too sudden. It will take some years off your life expectancy having to lay on the breaks seeing the gap quickly close between you and the car in front wondering if you have enough room to stop. A 4500# truck pulling a 4500# load slamming into the back of another car could lead to some serious distruction and it doesn't matter how big of an idiot you think the guy is for pulling out in front of you. That cops going to think your the idiot for not having brakes on your trailer and give you the ticket for rear-ending the car in front of you. The cost of brakes is a whole lot cheaper than the increased insurance premium after that.
                  Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

It's not necessarily a question of "Need", but a question of MUST. BTW, you're also supposed to have a boat tie down strap. They will pull you over in the Keys if you don't have one.

Each state is different. As already stated, here in Florida, your trailer MUST have brakes if the TOTAL rig weighs more than 3,000 pounds. Dealerships and manufactures get away with selling trailers without brakes because at the time of sale (no boat is on the trailer) it weighs less than 3K. But once you put the boat on ....

Can you stop your boat/trailer with a Ford Explorer, probably Yes. Can you do it under adverse conditions? -- perhaps not.

Get the brakes fixed and maintain them -- a flush kit helps if you've got drum brakes like me.

Good Luck,

Prop Blast
                    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Trailer brakes are not only there to help stop your truck trailer rig BUT also to make sure that when you apply the brakes in your truck, that the trailer dosen't want to get in front of the truck the hard way - sideways. They should be ONLY hydrulic brakes, they should come on first - start stopping the rig first (start a drag on the truck). If they don't work this way then something is wrong with your trailer's coupler and you should have it checked. Now, forget the laws - just using common sense says not take your boat out on the road without working brakes.
                      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
                      X