Yamaha 200 not firing properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 200 not firing properly

I have two 200 hp 1987 Yamahas on my 1987 Mako 261. When at idle, the stbd engine is not firing properly an the two bottom cylinders. We have plenty of spark but if either of the two bottom plug wires is disconnected when the engine is running, it seems to make no difference. If a little ether is added to the bottom carb, the engine difference can be heard. All three carbs were just professionally rebuilt but it seems that the engine is not getting fuel to the two bottom cylinders. Any suggestions?
    Al Caletri[br]1987 26\' Mako CC[br]Narragansett, RI

If you are getting spark and you have compression, then its your fuel. Its possible that even with a fresh carb rebuild that some bad gas could foul the carb. Pull the carb, remove the float bowl, spray cleaner through everything, reassemble, and see how that goes. Call the guy who did the rebuild.

If you run the engine and some cylinders aren't getting mixture, you're going scuff/burn cylinders/pistons.
    Tampa, FL [br]Mako 20C Merc 200[br]

Comment

I replaced the lower carb with a new carb and now it runs fine.
      Al Caletri[br]1987 26\' Mako CC[br]Narragansett, RI

Comment

check your compression. the bottom cylinders are the first to go if you lose oil to your head.
        1987 231 with 200 Yamaha[br]Stuart, Fl

Comment

Working...
        X