My Yellowfin experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Yellowfin experience

I really wish I was getting a YF, but too many irons in the fire.. I rode shotgun with a really good friend of mine who has outgrown his Parker 25 and is ready for something bigger and faster. The YF is as good as it gets in my opinion. My friend is very intrigued by this boat. He is going partners with his dad on whatever they get... so he has to convince the other partner that this is the one. I'm convinced! Now,If I weren't building a house and a baby on the way.... Hmmm... too late for me. Theres always the lotto.

The Yellowfin is the most amazing thing I've seen that floats and doesn't belong to the military. Top notch construction... I can't imagine anything to do differently... Wylie is a top notch guy and a perfectionist as well. He was very interactive with his employees in their construction tasks during the day. He knows his stuff.. no questions. I really don't know where to start. Its the little things that matter here and they are well taken care of at Yellowfin. The proof was in the sea trial.

36 YF with triple 275 Merc Verados... 3 guys and 400 gal. fuel. Time to plane was amazing. I wish I would have had a stopwatch, but it was as fast as my Seadoo. Almost zero bow rise. The whole boat picks up on plane at the same time. Smooth as silk.

We headed out over a sandbar to get some chop. 1.5-2' chop (no biggie for most boats anyways) but it was like glass in this hull. 40mph/4100rpm. Amazing! WOT was 64mph/6200rpm against the current. We stopped and trimmed up the center motor... A few seconds longer to plane, but no struggle... WOT 53mph on two motors! Insane!

Stopped and idled.... Did I mention how quiet the Verados are. All you can hear is wind noise while underway. We all stood on the port side... The hull sits level and drifting in the seas... Its extremely stable.

Very little spray on this hull! Such a sweet ride. We went into a turn at about 40 mph. Did about 3 revolutions in this turn like we were on rails! Don't know what the daimeter of the circle was but heres a pix. Look at the trail we made.

I'm no expert, but I really like this builder and their product.. It doesn't get any better in my opinion.

I have some construction pixs that you guys will be intrested in... I'll post them later.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

VERY nice boat. I've always liked the lines on the Yellowfins - timeless lines that won't go out of style.

What kind of boat is the "Teal"?
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

UH-OH!!!!
      1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

The Teal is an old Luzier cold molded plywood hull. She's a dynamite Tarpon boat. A local guide and friend of Wylies charters out of her. I just cracks me up whenpeople badmouth wood in boats and heres one completely made of wood and has been giving great service for years.

Comment

I noticed the Teal also. My eye's were quickly drawn to it. Wish you had more pix's of it.

Comment

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhh! He comes thru. I got my fix. She's got a little tumblehome in her rear quarters.

Comment

Last hitch we were working out in Garden Banks 662 and there was a yellowfin fishing around the floater we were doing the job on. They made several passes around us and pulled a bull dolphin out from underneath our bow. I really liked the looks of the boat...seems like all that flare would help make for a dry ride. There was a ton of room in their boat.
                1985 Mako 235[br]Houston Tx./ Biloxi Ms.

Comment

A 36 footer with trips...

Eddie is never going to be the same again. []
                  Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

I fish on a 31 foot center console on a regular basis and if I were going to spend that kind of money on a boat I would go to an inboard boat with twin diesels like the Albemarle, Carolina Classic or one of the other fine express boats out there. We typically fish 40 to 50 miles from shore and a center console just does not offer enough comfort to spend the day out there. Within the next couple of weeks the owner of the boat will be moving up to a new 32 Luhrs with T-315 Diesels, tower, AC, Heat, TV, Full gally, full bathroom, generator, ect, ect.... We test drove the boat last week in 5 to 6 foot seas and it performed increadibly. Had we been in his 31 Stamas Tarpon in those conditions we would have needed to go to the dentist afterwards.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mako224

I fish on a 31 foot center console on a regular basis and if I were going to spend that kind of money on a boat I would go to an inboard boat with twin diesels like the Albemarle, Carolina Classic or one of the other fine express boats out there. We typically fish 40 to 50 miles from shore and a center console just does not offer enough comfort to spend the day out there. Within the next couple of weeks the owner of the boat will be moving up to a new 32 Luhrs with T-315 Diesels, tower, AC, Heat, TV, Full gally, full bathroom, generator, ect, ect.... We test drove the boat last week in 5 to 6 foot seas and it performed increadibly. Had we been in his 31 Stamas Tarpon in those conditions we would have needed to go to the dentist afterwards.

You may want to ask your friend to find out about the thickness in the glass in the Luhrs. The guys down at the boatyard refuse to go out of sight of land in a Luhrs. I will agree, they look damn good though.
                      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                      1985 Mako 20c - sold
                      Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by RingLeader

The Teal is an old Luzier cold molded plywood hull. She's a dynamite Tarpon boat. A local guide and friend of Wylies charters out of her. I just cracks me up whenpeople badmouth wood in boats and heres one completely made of wood and has been giving great service for years.

They will last a might long time IF you take care of them. My pop's got a 42 Grand Banks Woodie. Really nice boat, great in rough water, but dang if he doesn't work on it dang near every day. Also, a wooden sportfisherman sank a couple miles out of the Destin pass about a month or so ago when it sprang a plank. Then it broke in half when they tried to tow it partially submerged.
                        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                        1985 Mako 20c - sold
                        Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

The Luhrs boats of today are nothing like the boats of the past. This boat was rock solid. We took it out thru Manisquan Inlet into some serious 5 to 6 foot seas that were close and steap. The ride was nothing short of spectacular. Solid as a rock.

Comment

I've always liked the looks of the 23 yellowfin. If you won the lottery which one would you get? []

Strick
                            Oakley, California

Comment

phantomboats.com. I would get teh 45 open fisherman with the trip diesels and cruise at 45 knots.
                              Slidell, La

Comment

Working...
                              X