SeaTrac Suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeaTrac Suspension?

I was reading an old issue of Sport Fishing (1997) and found a boat review of the 252 Mako.

It stated, "Mako suspend the deck liner in the hull. The aluminum fuel tank is suspended in a foam filled fiberglass pod under the deck. The deck then fits into the hull with interlocking stringers bonded by adhesive ployurethane foam, providing exellcent stiffness. Mako then injects high-density foam into the remaining space between the hull and deck as well. Finally, a unique internal hull flange increases torsional stiffness to each Mako hull at the deck hull joint. The net result; a virtural one-piece boat."

Does anyone know if they adopted this to the later model SeaCrafts as well?

I have seen the areas below deck of my SeaCraft and I know it's not foam filled, but I wonder if it should have been. If it was then that would explain why there is so many sub-structures broken under the center console.

In the article they went on to state Johnny Morris had brought Mako back to the level of excellence that it enjoyed years ago.......I think they were a little pre-mature in making that statment.
    Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

I wouldn't be so sure about your boat not having foam. Of course I don't know for sure either. We are in the process of tearing out my boat and I was told that it didn't have any foam in it nor could I see any from where I has access. They cut out the floor yesturday, low and behold, there was foam through-out the entire floor between the rear and center bulkheads. I think using that foam was a common thing back in the days.

Speaking of foam, guys, when I start putting my rig back together, what kind of problems could come up from not putting the foam back under the floor?
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Steven, the foam has several advantages.

While it doesn't offer much, it will give the floor a tiny bit of added support.

It will quiet the ride of the boat.

It will prevent (depending on how much you use) the boat from going to the bottom should the very worst ever happen.

That's all I can think of.

If I ever have to pull my floor, every square inch of open space will get foamed before I put it back together. []
      Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

I know my SeaCraft has foam in the hull, between the stringers. They glass over it, so you can't really see it. I also know there is none between the deck and hull. Which if I read the article right newer Mako's do.

The way the newer Mako's are falling apart, I thought someone here might have had some experence with them.
        Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Comment

I'll tell you what, I am going to put as little foam back in mine as is humanly possible. I hate the shit. Water always seems to get into it, and when it does there is no getting it out.

You are right about the quieter ride and it may keep the bow above water if you were to start to go down, but you can have it.

The only place I will have foam is in my new stringers and it is only to stiffen them up just that much more

I don't even plan on foaming in the gas tank. We will seewhat happens I may need a little.
          1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Working...
          X