1987 Evinrude 225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Evinrude 225

I'm looking at a Mako 21 with an Evinrude 225 VRO. Model on the motor is E225PXCUB, which decodes to 1987 per the Evinrude site. I have read someplace that the early VRO models were troublesome, although this one apparently has been OK. Is it worth trying to get this old warhorse going again and see how long it'll run, or would it likely be more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks for any advice or pointers to additional information.

Tim
    Berlin MA & Boothbay Harbor, ME[br]1981 21 (maybe)

I think the VRO problem was early 80's and resolved before 87. regardless they are work horses and you can always neuter it (cap the oil pump and mix your gas).
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I ran an 87 225 on my 23 intrepid for years of troble free trips, until my mechanic had me interrupt a line with one of those cleaners that hooks up with a can of spray cleaner and it siezed up the next day!!{screw you hewes motors!!}
      1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Had the same motor on my Mako 22B. Disconnect the VRO, run premix. Just a little insurance. I run premix in my 92 225 and brother runs premix in his 99 225. The '87 is a little smaller in CI than the later models but still a work horse. I would........Compression check, have lower unit oil changed and pressure check, new water pump, check charging system, new plugs, have new head gaskets put on (easy to do) decarbon, and go fishing. I get about 2.3 MPG at cruise with my Mako 21B and 225. Not stellar by any means, but, when I see all those new electronic motors spinning away and not cranking at the ramp, or getting a tow........ old smokey sure feels good when we go by them.

Comment

Tim,

It's a good engine -- though not fuel/oil efficient by any means. If the compression is good it'll power a 21' Mako just fine. I ran an '88 225hp 'rude on my 224 for a number of years. As long as the batteries were charged, it started just fine every time.

Assuming the VRO is working now, I wouldn't bother disconnecting it. I know there are some diehards out there that don't trust them, but the problems were worked out by then.

Good Luck,

Tom
          Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advice! Seems like it's definitely worth running the old motor 'til it quits.

I was thinking about a "get home" motor anyway so I may put one on as extra insurance. Anybody got any thoughts on how big that would need to be for a 21? I'm thinking 10HP or thereabouts.

Tim

Comment

Toe boat or Boat US is cheaper.......115.00 a year unlimited towing. Best $ I spend each year.

Comment

Good point. $2K for a kicker will cover a lot of tow insurance. Thanks.

Tim

Comment

Disconnect the VRO... The fellow I bought my 25' from pruchased twin 155hp commercial grade grade Evinrudes in 1988. He went through three motors in two years. All were covered under warrenty and all failed because of VRO malfunctions. He disconnected the VRO's and mixed oil in the gas after the third failure. Then, no more failures of any type. By the way, he took care of his equipment - there was no abuse causing failures.

I bought the boat in 96. The local Evinrude dealer told me not to hook the VRO's back up. He said OMC changed their system two more times after 88 before they got it right. I manually mixed oil until 2002 when I got rid of them. They still ran, but were no longer reliable. The compression was fine after 14 years of manual mixing, everything else was failing.

If you put the oil in, you know the job is done!
                  Ole Joe
                  Just floundering around
                  White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                  1978 Mako 25

Comment

Disconnect, disconnect, disconnect. If you do one of the best as far as reliability. Will always be the worst as far as smoothness and fuel consumption. Don't forget to de-carb your motor once a year and change your plugs twice. I have a 96 225 johnson with the VRO in the circular file and love it. No worrys about mixing properly.
                    Former owner of a 1986 21B Mako[br]Venice, FL

Comment

Working...
                    X