22' "A" center console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22' "A" center console

I am currently looking for a 22 cc that needs some help and a new home. If I am not mistaken, the model that I am interested in was made from 72 through 77. If any one can give me some pointers as to what to look for when shopping for these boats it would be much appreciated. The first boat I looked at, a 72', had some deep gell-coat cracks on the top cap of the transome and the deck was a little spongie between the seatleaning post and the transome. The boat was pretty grungie, the motor was a mid 80's 150 evenrude, and a so-so load rite. The owner was asking $5600. I passed.

Sag Harbor (eastern L.I.)New york
    1976 171[br]Christopher Taylor[br]Sag Harbor N.Y.[br]\"Hello Carlo\"

If you would, please post where you are from to help us all.

As far as your question it sounds as though you know what to look for. Ideally you would want a hull that is solid with no cracks, dings, or rot. In reality what you are looking at is a 30 year old boat and the chances of finding one without all these things is impossible. You are looking at the old 22(a) the 22b came later. They are a popular hull with several members here owning one.

I would be VERY surprised if you could find one without rot. The fact is that almost all of them have some. What you need to do is determine how much work that you want (or are willing) to do, and make sure that you don't pay too much for it.

Hope that acts as a beginning to your question. There is probably a ton more to say.
    1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I would have to agree ... unless you find a restored one and I would be surprised if they would sell after the work involved. I have a '72 22' and the boat has all of the typical problems, however it is still a very viable boat. I love it. The price is a good question. I paid $4500 for the boat and a double axel Long trailer and a with a '89 Suzuki engine. So far, so good. THe following link is a picture of the boat. Photobucket has been dis'n me.

http://home.comcast.net/~cwewing/P9150167.JPG
      72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

I would have to agree with Makoshako...My 73 22' with an 88 200 V6 double axle roll on trailer was $5500. Here is a link to a pic

http://www.shaunjeffries.com/boatpix1.jpg
        Shaun T Jeffries[br]1988 Mako 17 Standard Pompano Beach, Florida[br]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad352/aucshaun/Boat/mako2.jpg

Comment

I have seen plenty down here for sale. In fact, since I didn't know better I thought I was buying an old 22'. That was how the guy had it listed. I realized that some things weren't adding up. Specifically mine looked exactly the same as Warthog's and it said 23' on the registration. I am happy that I got what I did. I later realized that rod storage is more difficult on the old 22s due to the liner on the sides. On the 23 the liner comes in closer to the sides of the hull allowing for more room and therefore rod storage.
          1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

It's not that I thought the owner of the 72' was completly out of line asking $5600 for the boat, perhaps just a little high, to boot he was unwilling to negotiate. I am expecting the type of repairs that I described. I work for Coecles Harbor Marine, we build the Shelter Island Runabout and the Shelter Islind Commuter (can be seen @ www.zurnyachts.com if the web add. is incorrect just search zurn yachts and you'll get there)so I have alot of resorses available, I just don't want to spend a fortune to fix a basket case. In News Day I saw a 76' 22" with twin rebuilt 90 hp Evenrudes for $4400. If I remember the pone # was for Queens, about 1:45 min. away, too far to drive to be disapointed. Also what are the primary differences between the "A" and "B" models
            1976 171[br]Christopher Taylor[br]Sag Harbor N.Y.[br]\"Hello Carlo\"

Comment

There were some 22B models made in '78, I had one. As far as price.....I sold mine last fall to the first looker.....10,500.00 had a 2 year old trailer and a 87 evinrude 225. Yes, it was in very good condition. The next weekend I bought a '88 21B. Why sell ??? that flat bottomed 22B will beat you to death.

Comment

Working...
              X