Rod Holder mods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Holder mods.

The only thing about my Mako 20 and 23 that I ever complain about is that the rod storage. The teak rod holders are too small and the rod holders are to short. The rod holder teak frames are nice but very suseptable to breakage when removal for refinishing and always need re-glueing and repairs...

Any ideas on how to improve, remove or modify this issue? I am in the middle of a transom rebuild anyway on my 23' and would like to do something different.

For the record, I do have upright rod holders, but leaving them upright is not an option for storage while running, while fishing or while at the Marina. I don't want my Van Staal reels stolen. I also like to keep 4 rods on board, not laying on the deck or upright while fishing, because they are always in the way.

In short, has anyone come up with a new and improved version of the original rod holders...?

Thanks-

Bob
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Get a leaning post with rod holders. I have one with 6 rod holders, cooler space, plus a bracket which mounts 4 dive tanks, under seat storage, and much sturdier than the cptains chairs. Birdsall Marine has a website that shows them with all the options. I have never met anyone who could ever go back. Put another 6 rod holders in the T-top and you are set for a Jihad with the fish.
    Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

rod holders for the leaning post are great but they don't provide security for leaving on board. It's a little different for me since I will be changing the layout of everything from the deck up. What I planned on doing on my rig was to make the forward compartments 7' long so that I can do exactly what your talking about. I'll have one side with a lockable latch and the other side will be a fishbox for those extra long fish into. I have having to saw my kings and cobia's in half to fit in my 128qt cooler. An idea for you may be to take out the existing under gunwale system you have now and replace with a hindged sidewall with lock setup. The rods can be stored behind the sidewalls under lock/key when not in use than taken out and placed in leaning post and t-top rocket launchers when your headed out fishing.
      Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I have a leaning post with rod holders, but seem like the rods being up are still in the way.. T-Top may be better, but saving all my $ for a new Outboard. T-top will be laterr.

If antone else has a good idea re: closing in the rod holders under the gunwahles please let me know.

BTW, Schoolie Blufin Tuna fish are here. 48"-60+ inches. Man can they make your drag scream!

Bigger Tuna are here too - 400-600lbs.!

Urgh,Ergh,Urgh []

Thanks-

Bob
        Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Try to find and look at a 76 thru 83 Model 25. Mako trimed out the exterior of the rod rack opening with teak that served as both track and jamb for a sliding fiber glass panel. Very simple, but effective and good looking. I'll take some pics next week end and post them for you.
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
          1978 Mako 25

Comment

Yes, Please dp send pix!

Thanks-

Bob

Comment

Annie2,

Hope these help. With the locker closed, your looking at the hull liner on the left, door on the right.

When the door is open, it slides over the hull liner.

The door slides in a saw kerf that is cut into the teak trim.

On my Model 25 the rods are stored with the tips aft. I believe yours store foreward, but the door would work in either case.

There is a limber hole through the trim at the bottom of the kerf for drainage

Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              1978 Mako 25

Comment

Flounder,

What's that white piece above the rod locker that runs toward the bow?

Tom
                Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

I noticed it too. Looks like a add-on anti drip channel, to keep water from dripping on the door & door channel.

Comment

But it doesn't go all the way back and goes keeps going forward of the rod lockers. It also looks like it has some kind of channel in it, kind of like you are supposed to slide something into it.
                    Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

That channel accepts the bottom of an enclosure panel. Using those channels allows for a much cleaner and more secure method of fastening canvas that using standard snaps.

Flounder put up a post a few weeks/months back showing pics of the full (or three-sided) enclosure he made.
                      Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Thanks for the pix. I'll see what I can come up with ... SHould be interesting.

Comment

Yes, Brian is right. The track accepts a welt strip that secures the bottom of the side curtain to the hull. I don't have an interior pix, but this illustrates how it works.

Ole Joe
                          Just floundering around
                          1978 Mako 25

Comment

Working...
                          X