CAVITATION???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAVITATION???

I JUST BOUGHT A 1987 261 WITH TWIN 200 YAMAHAS. WHEN I AM CRUISING ON ANYTHING BUT A FLAT CALM DAY, THE ENGINE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE TURN WILL INCREASE RPM BY APPROXIMATELY 500-700 RPM INTERMITTINGLY. I NOTICED THAT THE ENGINES ARE MOUNTED ON THE STERN AT THE THIRD BOLT HOLE FROM THE TOP. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE HEIGHT AT WHICH THE ENGINES SHOULD BE MOUNTED?
    Al Caletri[br]1987 26\' Mako CC[br]Narragansett, RI

Sorry I can't answer your question, however, expect it would be helpful to mention the height of your cavitation plates in relation to the hull. Are there any thruhulls (transducer, water pickup?) Are engines set back on brackets or jackplates?.

I prefer to set as high as I can while still maintaing good ride quality. For me thats about even (maybe up 1") with the hull V and set back 8" on a jack plate. Unless I trim down (running a single), my prop will usually loose bite in turns.
    Tampa, FL [br]Mako 20C Merc 200[br]

Comment

ENGINES ARE ON TRANSOM CUTOUT BUT ARE SET APPROXIMATELY 2" HIGH. TRIM IS COMPLETELY DOWN
      quote:

Originally posted by TampaTom

Sorry I can't answer your question, however, expect it would be helpful to mention the height of your cavitation plates in relation to the hull. Are there any thruhulls (transducer, water pickup?) Are engines set back on brackets or jackplates?.

I prefer to set as high as I can while still maintaing good ride quality. For me thats about even (maybe up 1") with the hull V and set back 8" on a jack plate. Unless I trim down (running a single), my prop will usually loose bite in turns.

Comment

Make sure the cav plates are close to even with bottom of the hull. If you are trimmed out on a plane and make a turn, expect some slippage (this is normal) . Counter by trimming down a little before the turn. Are your props cupped this will also help. Any growth on the hull will also add to the slippage.

Comment

ALCAL,

Please turn off the Caps when posting, this comes across as yelling.

Thanks,

HD

BTW- Welcome

Comment

I have seen where if the motors are not turning correctly that a cavitation problem can be created. Somtimes during winterizing or repairs the lower units are reversed or switched so that the props are turning inward towards one another, instead of outward, thus creating a cavitation problem. Good luck, Alibi

Comment

I lowered the engines on the transom and it seems that has solved the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X