SmartRails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmartRails

Does anyone have any experience with SmartRails on a smaller boat? I ran across this Mako on the net today as I'm trying to kill the time until my last day next Friday....

This is a Mako 21 from www.thesmartrail.com website.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Looks like this is how you put them on......

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

they must work pretty good, because this boat has them on the rear too..

and on the bow!

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Rails?? What rails. Nice bow there.. ..wonder what the hole shot is like?!?[}][]
        18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Cyclops, my wife said to get off the Mako site and find her a damned laptop!!![}][}]
          Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I don't see any reason to put them on any mako. They are only needed to deflect spray on an otherwise wet boat. I have never gotten wet on my mako or any of the others I have been on. A friend of mine has a set of the spray rails on his 26 Shamrock and they have made a huge difference in how wet that boat rides.

Comment

You have never gotten wet in a mako ?. What lake are you fishing on....lol. I have been in mako's for quite some time now and anything over 3' seas with the wind anywhere but behind you and you get wet. The same holds true for a 22 as as well as a 25. At least that has been my experience.
              James Havanki[br]Great Mills[br]Southern Maryland[br]1973 22\' still \"in-work\".......lol

Comment

I have fished a number of different Mako boats, and while a few of them can knock you fillings out I have never found any of them to be wet riding boats.

The only situation where you would get wet in the Makos I have fished is with a strong wind and chop quaartering from the bow. Getting wet in a situation like that would be unavoidable regardless of what boat you are on and those silly looking spray rails would not help in that situation either.

If you have ever ridden in a truly wet riding boat you will know the difference. Some boats ride over waves, some boats (like my buddies 26 Shamrock) go thru waves.

With proper speed and trim you should not get wet in a Mako.[)]

Comment

Any boat is WET if its in the right conditions. I could get you wet in my dads old Whaler Revenge 21! Makos aren't as wet as some.

MakoMyDay and I went on a charter a few months ago and I don't think we could have gotten wetter if we had jumped in the gulf! It was like there was a little guy in the bow of the boat and he was spraying us down with the washdown hose. But we weren't on a Mako.

Comment

I couldn't agree more about some boats being wetter than others. Personally I don't mind getting alittle wet, it's all part of the fun for me. I certainly wouldn't even consider those silly little rails. If you are that worried about being out in the open and maybe getting a little salt spray in your face, then why are you in a center console to beging with....lol. You might as well have one of those yuppie, not worth $2.00, have cocktails in a cove, no room to fish, look I have nothing better to do with my money, I hope nothing breaks cause I don't know how to fix it, I only paid $800 to have my bottom painted Searays.....Just my opinion...lol !!!! Don't no one get upset....I'm just throwing in a little humor....lol.
                    James Havanki[br]Great Mills[br]Southern Maryland[br]1973 22\' still \"in-work\".......lol

Comment

Hankster, no offence taken. I agree with you. My father-in-law has a 38' Sea Ray Sundancer. Its an overgrown piece of ego boosting crap. All show, zero functionality. Its always broken... Motors, transmissions, battery problems, electronics, prop shafts, you name it its always screwed up. It has got to be the wettest boat I've ever seen. You'd think a 38' boat would be able to just knock right through 2-3 footers. Nope, this thing will soak the hell out of you and give you permanent back damage inthe process. My Mako 21 rides smoother and dryer in the 2-3' range. But he doesn't fish either. Its still a peice of crap!

Comment

My 25 will get extremly wet if you bury the nose with the tabs in a 3-5 that is 5 seconds apart but what boat wouldn't. My 32 Hatteras would get you so wet on the bridge you would need scuba gear to breath so I have learned not to bury the tabs and it rides over them like a cork and does not slam to bad coming down. I figure if somebody gets wet and does not like it then they should not fish with me, it keeps me cool in South Texas and I can wash the salt down with a cold beer[]

Comment

I hope no one disgraces their Mako by putting those hideous looking spray rails on it. Those things are terrible looking. As for the model, she would make a good bow ornament on any boat.

As for wet boats, my 1991 Mako 201 was soaking wet. However, I think that had something to do with the driver and the conditions I would normally take her in. Busting through the Merrimack River inlet during an outgoing tide with an onshore wind would make for some hellatious conditions.

On the other hand, my 1991 Mako 231 is bone dry. I think I have only gotten sprayed a little bit once and I have taken it out in hurricane swells and in nor'easters.

Comment

Yeah, I might get a spray every now and then, but it has to be wind-aided or I'm staying dry.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by RingLeader

...My father-in-law has a 38' Sea Ray Sundancer....

I thought Mike got rid of the Sea Ray...

BTW, I have some LT candidates for you.. I'll call you tonight if it's not too late.

-Pat.
                              18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Working...
                              X