Acquisition of '83 Mako 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acquisition of '83 Mako 21

I'm potentially going to be acquiring a Mako 21 from my brother in law. He thinks it's an '83, and the motor is a 96 Evinrude 225. Since it's in some ways a gift horse I can't really look it in the mouth too much -- my thinking is to take a chance on it and then if it's not worth the trouble to fix, sell it again. From reading this forum, two things I'll certainly check out are the transom and the gas tank. Anyone have any opinions on the motor? I am told that it needs a lift motor, which I guess is $500 or so. Any idea on the overall package value, say in working, but certainly not pristine condition?

The boat is currently sitting in a yard (on a trailer whose roadability is suspect) about 110 miles from it's eventual home. The options would be to fix the trailer and tow it myself, ditch the trailer and have the boat professionally transported, or have the whole thing (boat and trailer) stuck on a flatbed and moved. Opinions?

Thanks in advance for any input - kind of a complicated situation I'm trying to sort out.

Tim
    Berlin MA & Boothbay Harbor, ME[br]1981 21 (maybe)

sell parts off the trailer and boat for a quick $$$, than sell the trailer for scrap metal, than take the stripped hull off shore sink it and sell the GPS numbers to a fisherman as a secret reef, give the motor to me as payment for helping you [][][]

all kidding aside again....

you can't complain about free. if you have a vehical that can tow it go get it. just check the trailer to make sure the lights work, there's no dry-root or exposed steel or bubbles on the tires, squirt some grease in the axel(s) and make sure they are in good enough shape to make the trip. than the fun stuff begins..... come back here and ask lots of questions.

one of these days I'm gonna have to get me a boat.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Unfortunately, 'taint gonna be free, but hopefully somewhat below market at least. Apparently the whole package was "appraised" at $9500 18 months ago. I'm trying to find out if the "appraisal" was done by anybody who would really know -- seems pretty high to me.

Tim
      Berlin MA & Boothbay Harbor, ME[br]1981 21 (maybe)

Comment

Working...
      X