Should i do it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i do it again

I bought my 1978 mako in 1987, before that i used my dads 1976 20 cc mako. I did a lot of work over the years ,new power. porta bracket, new 100 gal tank, rewire of course, tower and finally dual stations. I love the boat andit is a fishing machine, and i have had many great fishing trips in the boat it floats shallow and in good weather is good offshore.

Time has taken a toll the fore deck is rotten and stress cracked the boat seems heavier i suspect wet foam, the transom is bowed, and the deck is soft @ the tower posts, also not surprising. I go back and forth on it buy a new Gause, or Sheaffer

about 60K or spend a ton to pay for restoration of my boat or spend a smaller fortune and a year of my life redoing it myself.

Searching the web site and seeingall the projects underway has inspired me again. Should I?
    [br]mudflatmark the anglingarchitect[br]Temple Terrace,Fl[br]

Absolutely! But if you do not want to I am sure someone would take that beauty off your hands![]
    Former owner of a 1986 21B Mako[br]Venice, FL

Comment

I did!!!! [] am I crazy or just stupid?? oh wait that's something else...

the way I figure, my 23' boat is just about right for me to do most of what i want to do, including pretty good offshore capabilities.

I had four options:

1) buy a new one $45K +

2) buy a decent used one $25K +

3) buy a really old one in good shape $10K

4) restore my current one $15K

My line of thinking... (disclaimer: the actions and decisions of this user should only be used for reading purposes, wether humorus, silly, or as reference to be used in a book of can't believe type stuff or whatever.) Anyway here was my line of thinking that lead me to my conclusion.

option 1) brand new would be nice but $45K+ on something that I will use maybe once a month didn't make sense to me.

option 2) a good used one would be ok but $25K was still a bit much for something I be using maybe once a month. Also, there's a good chance that after a few more years, I'll have to start dropping big bucks into it to start fixing things starting to wear out from age.

option 3) absolutely note!!! more than likely, being really old, there will be even more things that will need to be replaced or fixed that has worn out from age. Some things may even need immediate attention.

option 4) I have a hull that works. It's completely paid off. I drop $10K to restore the boat and $5K to upgrade the motor and a little extra to do some work on the trailer. I have a boat that is just as good as option 2 and came out a lot cheaper. Hopefully, I'll get another 10years of of her (of course this only works in theory but hey).
      Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

There is a lot to this, Restoration.

Place to do it.

Tools to do it.

Likes to feel itchy at night.

You pay as you go, but it slows the process. No financing!

No one in there right mind would take on as big a change that I have done. Redoing a center console would be a snap for me.[]But it still takes time.

Comment

ummm.... Mr. Warthog... can I drop my boat off at your place and have you snap your fingers a couple times for me???? PLEASE!!!!!

anglingarchitect: if you decide to rebuild your boat, be sure to book mark this page. a lot of helpful people here to help you through the entire process..... I hope.
          Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Thanks all, this is agreat source of info no doubt about that.I am able to do most of the work and i have a three car garage which i could clean out. It would fit in there with the tower off. It would be less expensive i have a new motor 2002 Evinrude 225, and a new all alumn trailer. i will still have an old boat that is worth less than what i have in it .

I like the smell of resin. but don't enjoy the itch of the glass, i love the satisfaction of completing a difficult project , but i am ossesive about detail, my boat will be out of commision for a while, but i could fish with my friends on thier boats,my kids are both in college now so i have more spare time, but my golf game will suffer. My wife travels for business a lot now, so ther is some more time , but i could get a real mistress instead of a boat. Naaaa that would be way too expensive!

Decisions, decisions
            [br]mudflatmark the anglingarchitect[br]Temple Terrace,Fl[br]

Comment

anglingarchitect I'd say your a prime person to take on this project.

It will keep you out of trouble.[]

Your not going to do this to save money,really. Unless you compair it to a new boat and the depreasion of the new one.

Comment

Got for it... Projects like this are what makes this webpage the premier spot on the web for guys who are looking for info on rebuilding old classics.[]
                Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I am facing a similar decision and after careful consideration, I am gong to go for it.

1. Look at similar boats at a boat show or dealership. Once you get past the gloss, you may find that they are not built as well as your older Mako. The construction on similarly priced boats is pretty poor today. For example, look at a new Robalo and you'll see why a classic Mako was such a popular boat at the time.

2. You will be restoring a cool boat that will be more or less unique.

3. You will have good memories of the fun that you had in the boat over the years.

4. It will give your college age kids something to do when they are home.

The only problem that I can see is how to purchase adequate boat insurance to cover your new investment in an older hull.

Fred Bartlett

Comment

Save all your recipts. Have the boat apraised by a good marine survayer.

Give him the recipts to come up with a number. Have that apraisel with you when you go to the insurance agent. Call the insurance agent and find a survayer that they approve too, before you have it survayed.

Comment

I just had a guy here who is going to blast (crushed walnut shells) all of the window trims. He's going to also blast a sculpture that needs repainting. While he is on site, the Mako is going to loose the bottom paint[]. When this guy saw my 85, the corner of his mouth was starting to drool. I don't think you would get that from a lot of "newer" boats. Something about the old ones[^]
                      2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

My decision to tear into my boat was two fold:

First, I had a pretty good idea that the transom had some issues. When I repainted the boat the first time I also switched from twin 70's to a single 200hp. Some black wood came out of the new mounting holes. That was in the back of my head everytime I used the boat after.

Second, I had lots of ideas for my boat that would come up with while out fishing. In the end my boat will be much more fishing friendly.

The moral of the story for me at least is refitting an old Mako hull gives you a proven hull to start with, and the rest is up to your imagination. I dont even want to think about what that would cost with a custom builder.

I enjoy working my ideas into reality. It's flat out fun somedays.
                        Greenwich, NJ[br]1976 22B

Comment

Working...
                        X