Questions on fuel tank replacement on 20C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on fuel tank replacement on 20C

Could anyone explain what is involved in removing and replacing the fuel tank in a 20 C ? Who supplies the new tank? Is it a "new" Mako supplied item? Is the tank aluminum ? It seems like the console must be removed at the same time and the tank decking must be replaced at the same time. I do have the access cover inside the console.

What are the other signs that the tank needs to be replaced? The deck above the tank is slightly springy. I have no fuel leaks and the fuel sender gasket seems tight and secure. Can anyone tell me where to look in the archives for information on tank replacement and/or improving this spongy deck area?

I am planning on repowering the boat. Thanks to those of you that helped provide advice.

Fred Bartlett

Fred,

The fuel tank is secured into a pod with epoxy foam. After you've taken the console off, you remove the deck plate and start cutting out foam.

Replacement tanks come from several manufacturers -- the one that made the tanks for your Mako was in S. Florida, I forget the name. There's a company called Mattison Marine here in Tampa that makes them as well.

What you want to ensure is that you take the tank's measurements and I recommned you keep the same capacity -- it will affect the ride.

If you don't smell any fuel in your bilge, you're probably OK. Here it'll cost about $1000-1200 to replace a tank.

Hope it works out,

Prop Blast
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
    X