Garmin 188C Transducer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin 188C Transducer

I am installing a Garmin 188C in a '97 Mako 191. I want to do away with the transom mounted transducer. Can you epoxy the transducer to the hull in the bilge? If so, where is the best placement? My water pickup for the live well and bilge pump are mounted on a flat pannel in the bilge. Should the transducer be located near these items? What is the best epoxy to use the 5200?

Thanks,

Larry Smith

Pasadena, TX

'97 Mako 191
    Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Larry. 5200 is not epoxy. epoxy is something you mix with a hardener, you would use it in fiberglass work. As for placement Garmin describes a procedure for testing areas in your bilge. Go to the Garmin site and look in the manuals. I intend to do the same thing in the next couple of months.
    1980 Mako21 [br] [br]Long Beach MS <\')))>([br]\"I can always find somebody to tow me back in, but I can never find anybody who will tow me out.........\"

Comment

Make sure that you use a slow curing epoxy to ensure that the majority of the air has time to escape before the epoxy hardens. You can buy a syringe kit with slow cure epoxy that is easy to use and plenty of material to do the job with. I did an in-hull install with a Hummingbird Matrix 27 several weeks ago and have been pleased with its performance. I mounted the transducer just below and aft of the console.
      Formerly: Mako 236[br]Currently: 35\' Viking[br]Greenwich, CT

Comment

good call on the slow cure. you definately do not want bubbles between the transducer and the hull. I forgot what type of adhesive it was but the proceedure that I was taught was to take a cup or pvc pipe and cut it to match the contore of the hull. this is the housing that the ducer will mount inside of. put the adhesive in the cup. If it's a clear adhesive, you will see if there are any bubbles in there. take the ducer and push in into the adhesive in the cup and hold until the adhesive starts solidify and can hold the ducer in place on it's own. One thing I was told that you need to be careful of was that the centerline was not always the best place. apparently some hulls have a metel bracket that runs along or something like that. it was a long time ago i can't remember all the details.
        Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am learning as I go on this one.

Larry Smith

Pasadena, Tx

'97 Mako 191
          Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

Working...
          X