No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

I've been a fan of this site for about a year now. I picked up a 1974 20' Mako hull about 2 years ago for cheap with a brand new trailer and t-top. Mounted a 140 suzuki 4 stroke and jackplate on it, and have been very happy with it. I use it primarily as a flats/bay boat but occasionally take it out 20+. While the boat is in good shape, it does need some work. Pretty much all of the problems are the same as those common on the forum (springy transom, gunnel delamination around the rod holders/drilled areas, soft areas in the deck). After reading about all of your projects, and after having a few frustrating near misses on purchasing other boats (various older flatback aquasports) I have decided to take the plunge into an overhall. Basically filling in the transom, replace the core on the gunnels, repair and fill the variety of holes drilled into a variety spots all over the boat (and probably other fixes as I open the boat up). A hell of a lot of work but I have the time and as it is winter (very relative term for Florida) the boat has been sitting idle.

This is a warning as I will likely be posting some questions.

Thanks for the great site and for all of the great info.

jason

Here is an example of an awesome professional mako redu.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/6/59102996.htm

FIY - where i use the boat.

Charlotte Harbor Area

Cedar Key

Homassassa

Clearwater/honeymoon island etc

St. Joes Bay
    1974 20\'[br]2005 Sabalo 22\'[br]Gainesville Fl[br]

Gret looking RED boat.

I see a problem with the trailer. The V ed PVC. It is a classic for tearing up the bottom of the boat.

A better way is Keel bunks. Not only can you Power Load it, but it doesn't tear the boat up.

Comment

Thats a very pretty boat. Fire away on your questions.
      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

My trailer has a pvc pad and it has done some damage to the hull. I was planning on replacing it with rollers. I was also planning on replacing the leaf springs and some of the U-bolts on the trailer, when I put the boat on blocks. Hopefully in the next two weeks.

I called the company who did the makeover on the mako to ask how much just for the hull paint job and it was expensive.

It looks really great though.

They used Awlgrip on the top and bottom.

I'll try to get a pic up of my mako.

Thanks!

Comment

Here are a couple of pics.

The pics are little bright.

And heres one pre engine before I bought it

Comment

That's NICE! My favorite GREEN. Look at the trailer fenders reflecting in the paint.[8D] Gotta wear sunglasses for that one.

Comment

wow! That looks nice. Where do you live? I'm in Gainesville until the 23rd (been here 6.5 years) and fish Cedar Key - Steinhatchee. After the 23rd I'll be in Fort Walton and hopefully fishing from Venice - St. Marks!
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL
              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

The paint looks better in the photo than in reality. Lots of pits down to the gel coat and scratches. Also, the 3" crack in the hull near the back is a new addition.

Sailor, I've lived in Gainesville about 9 years. I fish Cedar Key a bunch and off of St. Augustine. Lately I've been going offshore in a friends boat. His boat is 10' longer and I let him deal with the major headaches and resign myself to clean up and paying for gas.

You should check out St. Joes Bay while you're up in St. Marks. Water is clearer than Stienhatchee, full of fish and usually pretty much empty. I went there for 5 days last year in June and pretty much only saw about 6 boats the entire trip. Very different from what I'm used to. I bet St. Marks area is similar in this respect.

Comment

Tank,

What kind of numbers do you get with that 140?
                  Ron[br]26 Regulator CC[br] \"Blood Shot\"[br]Mt Laurel & Tuckerton NJ[br]www.bizprosolutions.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by LiveBait

Tank,

What kind of numbers do you get with that 140?

That was going to be my next question.
                    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                    1985 Mako 20c - sold
                    Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

I would say:

trolling, about 4 mpg possibly a little better

under 3200 rpms (20 mph) about 3 1/2 mpg

over 3200 rpms (25 - 30 mph) about 3

close to the limiter at 6200 rpms (30 - 37 mph) somewhere between 2 and 3

I haven't really been able to keep track of my mpg at the higher rpms and all of these values are estimates.

When I first mounted the engine and took it out I got the boat up to about 40 mph, this was with one person, one battery, no gear and only a little gas in the tank. 37 mph seems to be my effective max.

As with all 4 strokes it is very quiet.

The only drawback is that living Gainesville forces me to have to travel quite a bit to get it serviced. I read on the website about all of these suzuki certified mechanics relatively close by but it turns out that most of these place are only certified because they sell boats that have suzuki engines stock. They end up having very little mechanical experience (or none). They just have to take a class so they can sell the boat line. Hopefully this will change soon.

Also, it doesn't have much of a holeshot but I'm sure it would improve if I had trim tabs.

Taking all of the weight out of the back helped a bunch.

I have 4 batteries in the center console, 2 for running and 2 for my trolling motor. This extra weight forward seems to help out a bunch, both with getting on plane and general stability. Hopefully, with a composite core transom and some trim tabs I'll impove it even more.

So far its been a great engine. I have definitely abused it. Cedar key is not too forgiving.

Comment

Those numbers are about the same I get with my 200. Are they GPS numbers?
                        Ron[br]26 Regulator CC[br] \"Blood Shot\"[br]Mt Laurel & Tuckerton NJ[br]www.bizprosolutions.com

Comment

Tank72 - do you have any pics of your leaning post? I'd like to see where and how it is mounted as well as the style.

thanks,

Steve.
                          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                          1985 Mako 20c - sold
                          Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Sailor,

Let me know if additional pics will help.

I'm thinking about replacing it with a 50+ gal livewell seat.

Livebait,

Those are GPS estimates. Do you have a 4 stroke or an EFI, etc?

jt

Comment

Tank - where do you keep your boat? Is that the yard that Gates owns?
                              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                              1985 Mako 20c - sold
                              Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X