Johnson J200 4-Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson J200 4-Stroke

I know I already posed the question about used motors, but I want to cover all of my bases.

What do you guys know about this motor, and am I foolish to even think about putting it on my 224?

I know that the boat won't be as snappy but I am not looking to win any drag races.
    1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

what's wrong with a 200???? I have a mid 80's 200hp rude on my 23'er and I get very decent performance. The only thing I've heard about these earlier models is to disconnect the VRO and mix oil in the gas instead. Apparently, they had some bad problems with them. Other than that, everyone tells me that those old rude's are work horses and will run forever with regular maintainance.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

The 200 Johnson 4-stroke is basically a 200 Suzuki 4-stroke painted white. Same exact motor. And it's a good one. []

I would have no reservations about that engine.

As you said, you won't win any drag races, but performance should be adequate.
      Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Thanks, Brian

HungOne,

Don't get me wrong, I love my '83 200 Rude. It pushes my 224 right along nice. It had a couple of hiccups this year, and with gas prices being what they are it would be nice to have a newer motor back there. I have never done any kind of fuel consumption tallying but I would think a newer motor would be alot better.

I was just wondering what kind of performance loss I would expect if I went to the Suzi/John 4-stroke.

Oh, one other thing. I think I know the answer to this already. How believeable are the performance reports that you get off of the websites.

Comment

I believe you are right, a newer (expecially a 4 stroke) will give you much better fuel efficency. On my old rude, according to my flowscan I get right at 2.5mpg with best conditions, light load, at about 4000rpm and only about 1.25 ~ 1.5mpg at WOT. From what I understand, the 4 strokes should get about 3.5mpg at cruise and 2.5mpg at WOT for a boat my size. As to the published spec's, it's real tough to tell how accurate they will be since the hull's, load, prop, etc. can all affect the numbers. And believe it or not, the company doing the test can affect the numbers as well.

hmmm... those marketing tactics.... I don't think they lie, they just hold the truth sometimes [:0][:I]
          Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I believe you are right, a newer (expecially a 4 stroke) will give you much better fuel efficency. On my old rude, according to my flowscan I get right at 2.5mpg with best conditions, light load, at about 4000rpm and only about 1.25 ~ 1.5mpg at WOT. From what I understand, the 4 strokes should get about 3.5mpg at cruise and 2.5mpg at WOT for a boat my size. As to the published spec's, it's real tough to tell how accurate they will be since the hull's, load, prop, etc. can all affect the numbers. And believe it or not, the company doing the test can affect the numbers as well.

hmmm... those marketing tactics.... I don't think they lie, they just hold the truth sometimes [:0][:I]

Comment

This is not a 200, but here's a post from ClassicSeaCraft on a 250 Suzzy 4 stroke. Look what Trevor Hicks posted. He replaced a 225 stroke with the 250 4 stroke.

http://forum.classicseacraft.com/sho...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Comment

This is not a 200, but here's a post from ClassicSeaCraft on a 250 Suzzy 4 stroke. Look what Trevor Hicks posted. He replaced a 225 stroke with the 250 4 stroke.

http://forum.classicseacraft.com/sho...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Comment

Boy you guys are really making this hard. It sounds like it might work pretty well. I have been talking to a local dealer and he's asking about 11,500 for an '04.

It sure would be nice to not have to carry around oil jugs.

Comment

Boy you guys are really making this hard. It sounds like it might work pretty well. I have been talking to a local dealer and he's asking about 11,500 for an '04.

It sure would be nice to not have to carry around oil jugs.

Comment

I'd be real tempted to bump the HP up. You will not have a weight gain going from 200 4stroke to 225 4stroke.

Comment

I'd be real tempted to bump the HP up. You will not have a weight gain going from 200 4stroke to 225 4stroke.

Comment

I will have to look around. I really would like 225hp be it 2 or 4 stroke.

It's defenitely not something I plan on doing right away.

Comment

Steve,

A 200hp will move a 224, but the engine will work hard to do so. I went through this a year ago: needed to repower my 1983 224 and had hoped to go to a Yamaha 225 HPDI -- unfortunately they don't make one with a 25" shaft (only in a 20" shaft for those dammed flats skiffs!).

My backup was to get another Evinrude, this time an '04 225hp FICHT. The problem was the dealer network here in Tampa -- it was DEAD!

Had been told Yamaha's F225 was a dog and would not be worth it and thought about the 200 HPDI. But my boat; with a T-top, bottom paint, 1/2 tank of gas weighs 3,800 lbs. I know because I took it to a truck stop and put it on a scale. Once I loaded it with gear, a couple of buddies/family, a 200hp would not have the pep I wanted.

My "boat guy" -- who's incredibly knowledgeable, recommended Yamaha's 250 HPDI. I'm sure the boat would have moved quite nicely, but I didn't want that much HP on the transom.

Cut to the chase -- I took the risk and went with the F225 and haven't looked back -- I love it. I get just over 3mpg at 4,000 RPM -- 30 MPH.

Suggest you keep looking -- someone will be dumping a 225 EFI down at Ocean Reef soon enough. I know of two for sale here in Tampa that are immaculate, but the guy wants $8K if he's going to break the set. He repowered a Contender 27 with 250 HPDIs.

Prop Blast
                            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Steve, I have a 83' 224 with a 200hpdi pushes it just fine. Boat has t-top, bottom paint and the batteries still aft and I average 3mpg on a 300 mi trip or trips. Floscan and chartplotter verify speed and usage. Standard trip 2 guys 150 lbs of ice, dive and fishing gear, food and drinks for a little 2-3 day trip out to the channel islands and I can cruise at 20-26mpg all day at about 3500-4000 have a ss 14.75x17 prop. why have a boat that can go 50 when you cant run it there or cant afford to. I can still get 5600 on the tach if in smooth water but why? It jumps out of the hole fine got trim tabs use them and trim up the motor and enjoy. Larger 2 strokes are fine and 4 strokes are good also. I just keep the boat simple and use it instead of working on it. greenno

Comment

Working...
                              X