tilt__latch vs. transom saver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt__latch vs. transom saver

Looking for the usual vast knowledge and advice from the forum members. My question is what is the best advice for minimizing stress on the transom when travelling. I have a '93 211 with a 225 Merc. I travel frequently from Baton Rouge to various points on the La. coast. Generally this roundtrip is about 200 miles +/- a few. About a year ago I thought I would be prudent and bought one of those long transom savers from Cabella's. But seems that recently I am noticing alot more spider cracking around the points of my transom and on the deck where the transom joins. Is the tilt latch on the engine sufficient to support the engine on routine long hauls or what is the best suggestion?

Justus

BRLA
    Justus[br]\'93-211 Classic [br]Baton Rouge

I don't know if you can get to an owner's manual for that engine, but my owner's manual says that you shouldn't tow long distances with the tilt latch engaged - go figure. Of course, this is a completely different brand, etc., and the tilt latch on my motor only engages when the motor is all the way up. The rationale they give is that over extended periods of time, water may get around the seals in this position and seep into the block. Maybe a qualified mechanic can tell you.

Good luck,

Wolfram in Corpus
    Corpuscruiser[br]Northern AL[br]\'94 171

Comment

My favorite motor support is the Swivl-eze Lock n Stow. Look at outdoorsuperstore.com for a picture and description. I have one on my 135 Optimax and it works great.

Comment

Thanks Plywood! Looks to be a good and sturdy alternative to the typical transom saver.
        Justus[br]\'93-211 Classic [br]Baton Rouge

Comment

Working...
        X