Who's Bought Used Motors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Bought Used Motors ?

I couldn't find a thread that answered this question specifically. If there is please post a link to it.

Anyhow, I would like to hear from guys that have bought used motors in the past and any kind of advice that goes along with it.
    1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

I bought a used (rebuilt) Yamaha. It had thrown a rod and was repaired. I didn't know much about compression testing and looking over the block for blemishes/welds when I bought it. It was never a strong motor. It always seemed like something wasn't right. The compression on the 6 cylinders were all within 5%, but they were all a bit lower than Yamaha specs. Later I found out that the reapir to the block had been leaking fuel/air. You could see it bubbleing out while the motor ran.

I guess the moral of the story is to check them out good. Try to buy a motor that you can actually get a boat ride with and then have a mechanic check it out really good for you. Also, it never hurts to get a motor that still has some warranty left on it.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Steve,

Buying a used outboard is like buying anything else that mechanical -- you need to inspect it and ensure you know what you're buying. There are some great deals out there as folks repower with todays DFI and 4-stroke engines. You can really save some bucks...

If you're a qualified outboard mechanic, you can do the whole thing yourself -- but 99.9% of us are NOT, so you're best served by paying a mechanic CERTIFIED on the particular brand of outboard you're interested in. If a guy's a certified Mercury mechanic, don't hire him to check out a '95 Evinrude! The reason for matching the mech to the engine is that every brand has their own strengths and weaknesses -- a certified and experience mechanic will know what to look for.

So before you hire a mechanic for $50 or $100 to drive to a dealership, is there anything a layman can do first? Sure!

1. Visually inspect the outside engine. Any dings and dents? Corrosion anywhere? Steering Shaft/fork ok? What does the skeg look like -- hit the bottom a few times?

2. Remove the cowling cover. What does the powerhead look like? Any corrosion? Any sign of oil/fuel leaks? Take the spark plugs out. What do the tips look like, are they clean?

3. Lower unit. Remove the drain screw at the bottom and drain just a little fluid out. Is it clean (good) or does it have a milky color (bad). A little bit of metal shavings isn't a problem, nor is a dark grey color.

4. Trim & Tilt motor. How does the motor work -- does it raise and lower the engine smoothly? Is the motor corroded? If it's not smooth and there's corrosion -- plan on spending $3-500 on a new one depending on the brand. Yamaha's are the most expensive. Merc's tend not to corrode.

Finally, crank the engine. Does it start quickly and smoothly?

If you do all this and you're happy, it's time to hire a mechanic.

Hope that helped...

Prop Blast
      Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

PropBlast,

You are right on with what I have been thinking as far as all the trade ins out there.

I really would prefer to buy it from a dealer. Preferably a dealer that deals in that particular motor.

Now the hard part is finding the motor.

Comment

Also consider what compromises are you willing to make. My 97 Merc is not as reliable as my the 82 Johnson that was on my Whaler, however, it (and the boat/trailer) were such a good deal it seems worth the hassel of sorting it out. With my old Johnson, I boutght a parts engine that was in great shape (except blown cyl)for $250. Hope to find a deal like that for my Merc.
          Tampa, FL [br]Mako 20C Merc 200[br]

Comment

Steve,

Are you looking to repower your current boat, the 224? Don't know how difficult finding engines are up there, but they're readily available down here in FL.

I've got a Yamaha guy who has 2x225 EFIs (25" shaft) in excellent condition and an older 225 (25" shaft).

If you're curious about prices, let me know.

Prop Blast
            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I like to see who owned the motor last. Buying from a dealer might make you feel good inside but remember that they are also trying to make a living. The dealers usually don't know how the motor was cared for. When buying a motor from an individual, you usually get to see how they take care of things...ex. I'd buy that 225efi Merc that Ed has without hesitation.[8D] Tony
              79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

I just recently bought a '01 Yamaha 250 OX66 for my 23. I bought it from an individual, after spending about a month of hard searching and looking at engines before I found this one I really liked at a good price. Compression testing is not difficult, its simply putting a pressure gauge in the spark plug hole - you can buy one at NAPA. If the seller balks at you wanting to compression test, walk away. Beware the used outboard dealers selling on the internet. I only visited a few down here in South FL, but the ones I checked out made claims that were either not true, or indicative of poor/extreme cost cutting mechanical practices. Good luck.
                Cudjoe Key, FL (MM 23)

Comment

Propblast,

Yeah, it would be my 224. Finding engines up here is a pain. I look on boattrader and all of the engines are in Fla. I would be curious about pricing, but I don't think I would ever buy a motor that I couldn't just drive and look at.

Spectrout,

You do make a good point.

Tangel,

I wouldn't even make think about buying a motor without a compression check. If they wouldn't allow a compression test, I wouldn't walk away, I would run!!

Comment

Be skeptical about buying a used motor...there are certainly many good ones out there, but there's a lot more bad ones. I bought one a few years back from a dealer in Stamford, CT. The motor went bad and I lost most of the season with the dealer trying to repair the motor. In all fairness to the dealer, they were honored their guarantee and returned all of my money to me. My only dissappointment was that that they allowed the repairs to continue throughout the Summer.

I ended up buying a replacement motor, also used, from the Bait Shop in Rowayton. They not only gave me a fair (not the cheapest) price, but they installed it and gave me all kinds of advice on maintenance. Whenever I had a question, they were quick to respond. If you're looking for an outboard, I would highly recommend the Bait Shop if you want a Bombardier product. You might pay more, but they have the knowledge and resources to back it up. Similarly, if you want a Yamaha, check out Catalano's in Greenwich. You will pay more, but their reputation for service is excellent and most of their motors have been throughly checked over before being put up for sale.
                    Formerly: Mako 236[br]Currently: 35\' Viking[br]Greenwich, CT

Comment

Thanks Putnam,

Although you lost prime boating time at least you got your money back, somthing I don't think you would get from a private seller.

I will defenitely give those guys a call.

Comment

Working...
                      X