Motor Rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Rebuild?

So you might remember the post a couple of weeks ago about this maybe being my first boat. (1985 20' Mako) Haven't bought it yet, but still negotiating and tomorrow is drop dead day depending on what I hear back. Somehow I trust you men more than the dealer or Evinrude mechanics I spoke with. Lot's of good experience here.

1998 Evinrude 175 Ocean Pro. Compression numbers still off after decarboning. (I watched the test this time) High is 110 and low is 95. All else VRO, Impellor, etc good on motor.

Hull checked out Good by the surveyor and he valued the package right at the asking price, given a sound motor. Some minor repairs needed now on the hull and transom has elevated moisture (no surprise after seeing all the transom rebuilds here) but no flex at all....overall very good shape.

Dealer is willing to come down $1,500 to what he paid for it given the compression. He showed me the invoice on what he paid for the trade.

7k is now the price of boat, motor & trailer.

What do you think? Run, Walk, get it?

What does the typical rebuild for that size engine cost?

Thanks!

Ed

Charlotte, NC
    -Bizz[br]1985 20C[br]Charlotte, NC

OK, just my opinion. Not a bad price given surveyor's nod on the hull. That is the important part. For $3000 there is a guy is Key Largo who rebuils V6's and gives a two year warranty provided you break it in properly and deep 6 the VRO. 110 to 95 is not that bad and I am willing to bet it will run for a while, fine. It's a Johnson and they are not that finicky. Another option is trade that in and add $1500 and see what you get. There are lots of people who rebuild trade ins and sell with decent warranties. I guess I am saying if that is the hull you want, don't let a motor get in the way.
    Former owner of a 1986 21B Mako[br]Venice, FL

Comment

that price sounds good given the survey, I am no expert (at anything[]) but I hear that that compression differance is no big deal..
      1976 25\' Mako CC \"Makoritaville\"[br]1986 48\' Viking \"Tight Spot\" [br]197? 14\' Mitchell \"Tender Spot\"[br]Biloxi, MS[br][br]

Comment

Ed,

You don't say what the price for the boat/motor is after the $1,500 discount -- though it sounds like you're comfortable with it. Is a trailer included? If so, have you checked it out?

The OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) V6s are good engines. If properly cared for, they'll run forever. By the early 90s, OMC had worked the kinks out of their VRO systems, so anyone who is telling you to disconnect it is working off of old info. True, when OMC first came out with its VRO system, there were flaws -- but by '89/90 the problems were fixed. You should not have any worries.

As far as pricing a rebuild -- that's tough to do. Some mech's only do a few things; others basically remanufacture the entire engine -- replacing just about anything that isn't perfect. Hopefully you've got a mechanic you trust and have him go over the engine annually. The $150-200 is money well spent.

A couple of things I recommend:

1. Put in a new bilge pump & float switch and a real bilge hose -- not the piece of crap I promise you is there now. At least a 1,500 GPH unit. Use new, marine tinned wiring and replace the battery as well. Trust me on this -- that's one system you want to work right the first and every time.

2. Take a look at the brass drain sleeves in the transom -- you've got two. You're looking for cracks. If they are cracked, replace the sleeves, sealing them with 3M 5200. It's a fair wear and tear thing, but the cracks are a place water can get to the transom.

3. Trailer. If you've got one with the boat, get the bearings repacked and the lights checked. Buy a spare tire if it doesn't have one and make sure you've got the right jack and tire iron! My first trailer flat happened and I had NO SPARE or LUG WRENCH![] Luckily, I wasn't too far from the Mako dealer I bought the boat from.

Good luck,

Prop Blast
        Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

What Prop Blast is talking about on the bildge hose is this.

If you have this type bildge hose.

Get rid of it. Your life could depend on this cheap ass plastic crap they sell for bildge hose. IMHO it should be outlawed.

Install this style with the reinforsment.

Comment

Buy your boat and enjoy your life grasshopper!IT MOVES ALONG QUICKLY .....
            1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

I agree wirh prop blast. Those cmp numbers are not at all bad......that motor will probably run forever. As far as the VRO, that is your call.......personally, I DO NOT trust them. I would make that my second on the list, first being the bildge pump. If the bildge pump (s) work, I would leave them alone. I would put that $ into bearings for the trailer.

Comment

Thanks Bob,

That's exactly what I was talking about!

Prop Blast
                Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

As far as the VRO in the later motors I am not suggesting that they are not reliable. What I am saying is that they will shorten the life of your motor. The VRO was designed to mix 150:1 at idle and 50:1 at WFO. The problem lies with the transition and the 150:1 fuel could run through your engine at A higher RPM. When you are idling and throttle it the 150:1 runs through the engine until the newer mix gets there. Now this was a real problem with skiers who would constantly change from idle to higher RPM's and would not get enough lubrication. Now in an perfect world this would work better and not load up your engine. I must also point out that a major contributor to the VRO and all other systems(including now) was the tree huggers and the ever-present idea of more fuel efficient and cleaner engines.
                  Former owner of a 1986 21B Mako[br]Venice, FL

Comment

Ddrummer, I have a '93 Evinrude Oceanpro and only have good things to say about the smaller OMC V-6's. I think if you fog the engine again or run "ring free" through it, you will be suprised how many hours you can put on it before a rebuild. All motors are subject to problems...some more than others. The biggest problem with outboards is lack of use(not often enough). If you have anymore questions about that motor, e-mail me. Good luck, Tony.
                    79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

Working...
                    X