Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Mako

Hi all,

I've had a 1978 20 Mako for about 8 years now and want to trade up to a newer version. I would get a bigger Mako but I have 2 problems.1.) Because I live in the Pine Island Sound area I need a shallow draft boat. We get stuck a lot here getting back to Red Fish areas and mangrove fishing for Snook. As you know the 20 only draws about 10 inches and is not as heavy. 2.) Although we would like a bigger boat for our children etc. I really don't have the time for offshore outings yet and that brings me back to the 20. It seems the best choice for what we need at this time. what I don't like about the boat are the under deck livewells. Do the newer versions bring the baitwells above deck? Also I recently removed the engine mounts to replace the trim and tilt and water came out the holes. I imagine there's quite a bit of water in the hull how serious is this?

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks a bundle

Aztec...

I understand your situation -- I think...

1. Need to get shallow. I've fished as far south as Charlotte Harbor and we've got shallows up here in Tampa. My boat has a 19 degree deadrise. Suggest you look at hulls with less than that, like your 20 Mako does now. That'll let you use an engine with a 20" shaft. Some of the 22' and 23' Mako's from the late 70's had a low deadrise, so that may be of help to you.

2. Baitwells below the waterline. Not sure why that's a problem. Until Mako started making boats with the Euro transom (around '96), baitwells were always under the deck. Some folks have problems because they were never plumbed correctly. If you just want to be rid of it, you should be able to block it off and just go with a separate bait tank from Kodiak, Todd, Chemtainer, ...

3. Water in the transom -- not a good thing. How much water? It can be VERY serious. The transom is marine plywood encased in epoxy & fiberglass. If the water is in the wood, it will lead to rot and weaken the transom. Recommend you get someone knowledgeable to take a look at it. You may just need to let the areas dry out on their own. If that's the case, and the transoms structural integrity is good, you need to seal the engine mount holes with 3M 5200 -- front and back.

The old 20' Mako is a good all-around hull -- great for the west coast of Florida. Hope things work out.

Prop Blast
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Thanks Prop Blast

The water ran out pretty good but I'll get it checked out. My concern on a larger heavier boat is getting out of the mud etc. but I would like the extra space and stability of a larger Mako if I could still fish the same areas.

Aztec

Comment

Working...
      X