I've angered the fishing Gods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've angered the fishing Gods...

I went out and bought a CD/MP3 player for my boat and on the way from my sister's house (where I have been keeping my boat) to my house, I felt a funny vibration. The last time I felt something like this my left rear tire de-treaded itself at 70 mph on I-10. I quickly pulled over and checked everything out. The tires are pretty new on the trailer and looked fine and all the hubs felt ok, but the front right bearing buddy cap looked like it had been pushed out of the hub slightly. I decided to make a u-turn and head back to my folks house about two miles down the road.

After making the U-turn I looked in the side mirror and the front tire was wobbling like the rim was bent, then the bearing buddy went flying off into the grass. I pulled over as fast as I could and with each turn the wheel was working it's way off! Of couse since I just moved into a new house last weekend I didn't have my toolbox, tire wrench not to mention my spare bearing kit and grease.

I had no choice but to leave her on the side of the road, which just broke my heart to watch my boat in the rear view mirror as I speed away. I made it to Boat US 15 minutes before they closed and two and half agonizing hours later I got it back home safely. The grease was black as tar and real chunky. There wasn't one bearing left and the largest piece I pulled out was the retaining nut.

Today I'm pulling all four wheels off and repacking/replacing everything, then maybe I'll think about installing that CD player. Perhaps I need some sacrificial fish blood on the speakers to counter the bad mojo.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

That sucks.... been there myself... your doing the right thing by just tearing it all down and re-doing everything.

Strick
    Oakley, California

Comment

Bearings need grease? Who knew!

[]
      Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Prop Blast

Bearings need grease? Who knew!

[]

Ohhh, they had plenty of grease, it's the extra salt water thrown in that they didn't like!
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Working...
        X