Evinrude 225 ETEC ?__or ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evinrude 225 ETEC ?__or ??

I may be ordering an 2005 Evinrude 225 ETEC. What's this groups opinion on this new technology! Dependability, performance, etc.??

Other choices could be in this order:

Honda 225 , Suzuki 225, Johnson 225. Really leaning towards the Evinrude ETEC.

The motor will be mounted on a B-Bracket , full transom , 79 Mako 23.

25" shaft

Any input is appreciated.

Bob
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Suzuki 225 or 250 4stroke and a 48in wide body/tub on the bracket.

Comment

The johson and the evinrude are essentally the same engine! The four strokes are trully amazing , and i speak from experience, quiet, feels like boating is different, you here water,not the boat engine ,no oil,and if i had to choose between all ypu listed it would the honda. Guys in florida love em'
      1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Those Honda's are a bit more than the others. I'd love to have an ETEC but there's no denying that new technology always has a few flaws that need to be worked out the first few years. I've really heard a lot of good stuff recently about suzuki and the new Johnson/Evenrude motors are starting to make a come back since Bomb. took it over. I'm starting to hear a lot of bad stuff about Yamaha 250+ HP motors as well. In all honesty, I'd love to have any of the one's you mentioned hanging off the back of my boat and it should push a 23' boat nicely.

steven
        Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Johnson and Evinrude ARE NO WHERES NEAR being the same engine!! Used to be, but no more. Johnsons are the old fashioned carbed versions while Evinrudes are DFIs.

That being said, we're waiting on the big block etecs. While 4 strokes are indeed quiet, they are no better on fuel than the dfi 2 strokes, and they weigh a ton. Because of all the MOVING parts. The new etecs will be lighter than the fichts, they have replaced alot of the mechanical FI parts with lightweight piezo-electric blah blah...

While I'd be leary of new technology from rude, particularly after the Ficht fiasco, I think its a bit different this time. First off, you got Bomb in the picture, and they've done the etec thing right so far by putting it out in the small block engines first to work out whatever bugs may develop. From all I've heard, those small etecs are amazing.

But...when are the 200/225 Etecs due out? I havn't heard anyting yet and, as said, am waiting.
          1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I think the weight difference between 2 and 4 strokes is not that big, depending on the size of the block, etc. For example:

70 horse suzuki 4 stroke - 335lbs

75 horse Etec - 305 lbs

250 suki 4 stroke - 585

250 optimax - 510

One of the local evinrude dealers said that they were going to send him some special tools for the Etec. He responded to the rep with "Why? According to the ads, I shouldn't need them for 3 more years!!"
            Corpuscruiser[br]Northern AL[br]\'94 171

Comment

Want some good stats on 4 strokes Vs. DFI check out Evinrude'site shttp://www.evinrude.com/docs/241000/fst001_US.htm

Tony
              79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

Thanks! Looks like the E-Rude wins on all counts. Wonder how the ETEC would compare?

Looks like a Mako 23 with a 225 would hit 47-48 mph with decent economy. Maybe a 200HP would be enuf!

What are you getting for performance #'s and what are you guys wih 23's powered with.

My 23' has the 86 gallon tank and a 36 gallon tank.

All input is welcome.

Bob
                Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

When I start my transom project,I will put either the 250 or by that time the 300 etec engine on it[] The '23 is a lot of boat to push around. Tony
                  79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

QUOTE: What are you getting for performance #'s and what are you guys wih 23's powered with.

No #'s yet. 2- DF 140 Suzuli's 4 stroke's on a bracket. Low deadrise on this hull.

It should "walk the dog" very well.

Comment

My Sabalo 232 has an older 200hp rude on it and I can get the following numbers according to GPS:

3500rpm = 25knots

4500rpm = 32knots

wot = 38knots

I destroyed my stainless prop and lower unit about 2 years ago. I had the lower replaced but I've switched to an aluminum prop with a spare as backup. The stainless gave me about 2 more knots. The pitch affects numbers a great deal but for the life of me, I can't remember what mine is.
                      Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
                      X