Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 1995-2000

Hi all

I was talking to a Mako dealer today who said the Mako factory(Tracker) cut corners on their boats from 1995-2000? Has anyone heard about this and would be able to shed some light. I have owned and restored a 1978 Mako 20 and thought it to be a great boat, very solid and able to take it through anything I could stand. I would like to upgrade to a newer model but don't want to end up with something not built as good.

Sign,

Don't know a good thing when I got it

actecnum1 -

I had a brand new 1999 Mako Bayshark with a 200 optimax. Loved the boat but shortly after I had her I noticed that all 4 cleats mounted on the inboard side were loose. I mean I could move them around with my hand. After feeling around I found that Mako forgot to add the metal backing plates to the back of the cleats when they were installed. Called Mako, they appologized out the yang, sent me the backing plates and even a tube of 5200 to secure the nuts back down. Overnight too, I might add.

Then I had a brand new 2001 Mako 232 with a 250 Merc EFI. It developed a ton of gelcoat blisters and then soft spots on tne deck. Those problems were fixed to my satisfaction, by the dealer.

Dont' know if this answers your question but it does illustrate that Mako has had some quality control truobles in recent years. But also illustrates that Mako stepped up to the plate to correct these problems.
    Spring Hill, Fla.

Comment

O.K., here's the deal. Tracker Maine (i.e. Bass Pro Shops) didn't buy Mako until late '96 or 97. The Schwebke Family started Mako in the late 60s -- completely owned by the family.

Around '92 they sold a part interest in the company to some financial backers of theirs. They then sold the company to the same backers in or around '96.

The new owners were pretty clueless -- no boating background. These were the guy that came up with Attack 333! They quickly lost interest in the marine industry and sold the business to Tracker Marine.

FYI -- I'm told Bass Pro/Tracker Maine is now a wholey own subsidiary of the Franklin Financial Group -- Johnny Morris is not in the picture at all. I have been told he kept ownership of the Worldwide Sportsman shop in Islamorada, FL

If you're looking to purchase another Mako, go ahead -- just look with your eyes open and don't be overwhelmed with "new boat itis". If I were buying a new boat for $40K+, I'd hire a marine sureveyor for a few hundred to check the boat out BEFORE delivery by the dealer.

If you want more of a sure thing, be patient and buy a hull from the late '80s or early 90's, when the Schwebke's still owned the company. A '92 221B would be a great hull to move up too. I never liked the C-Pac console, but you can work with it....

Good Luck, sorry for the long babble...

Prop Blast
      Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Well said Prop Blast.

Comment

Ive yet to see a mark on my 95 2323-b and am amazed at the quality feel and finish having owned a few late model boats. Glad i snuck in under the wire in my95!! Everybody picks on that c-pack module but i think its really cool and east. Good hunting!
          1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Prop Blast

O.K., here's the deal. Tracker Maine (i.e. Bass Pro Shops) didn't buy Mako until late '96 or 97. The Schwebke Family started Mako in the late 60s -- completely owned by the family.

Around '92 they sold a part interest in the company to some financial backers of theirs. They then sold the company to the same backers in or around '96.

The new owners were pretty clueless -- no boating background. These were the guy that came up with Attack 333! They quickly lost interest in the marine industry and sold the business to Tracker Marine.

FYI -- I'm told Bass Pro/Tracker Maine is now a wholey own subsidiary of the Franklin Financial Group -- Johnny Morris is not in the picture at all. I have been told he kept ownership of the Worldwide Sportsman shop in Islamorada, FL

If you're looking to purchase another Mako, go ahead -- just look with your eyes open and don't be overwhelmed with "new boat itis". If I were buying a new boat for $40K+, I'd hire a marine sureveyor for a few hundred to check the boat out BEFORE delivery by the dealer.

If you want more of a sure thing, be patient and buy a hull from the late '80s or early 90's, when the Schwebke's still owned the company. A '92 221B would be a great hull to move up too. I never liked the C-Pac console, but you can work with it....

Good Luck, sorry for the long babble...

Prop Blast

Comment

Andy,

I know a lot of folks who like the C Pac console design. I believe the intent of the design was to make it easy to remove your electronics at end of the day and have them in somewhat of a protected casing. I wasn't crazy about the C-Pac for two reasons:

1. I found viewing electronics through the plexiglass at an angle difficult; and when you had the panel half open -- it was really difficult. If I had one today, I'd probably put a flush mount panel on one side for my bottom machine and one navaid. The other side I'd leave as is for loose storage.

2. Throttle position. I thought the angle was really tough; more "up & down" than forward & back.

I still think the best console Mako ever made was on the 251 -- great access from the front and easy viewing of guages. You just had to mount the bottom machine on top of the console.

Tight Lines...How's the fishing in Venice?

Prop Blast
              Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I guess stupid question, but what is the C-pac? Any pics?
                Former owner of a 1986 21B Mako[br]Venice, FL

Comment

c-pac is modular type insert that goes into console that electronics can be fixed to that slide and for easy access, pretty handy and if i could ever figure ouy that #$%^^^^& photobucket i would post pics for you!!!!![]
                  1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Working...
                  X