Paint for waterline and bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint for waterline and bottom

I need a little help here! My 211 has an old coat of bottom paint up to and including the waterline that is heavily worn. The boat is not being kept in the water any longer so I do not need to go back with a anti-fouling paint. Once I remove what is left of the old pain, what is a good (type/brand) paint to go back with to go back with for the bottm and waterline?[?]
    Justus[br]\'93-211 Classic [br]Baton Rouge

Interlux makes a teflon based paint that was designed for racing sailboats that has no antifouling pproperties. I think it is called VC or something like that.

Also, if you plan on keeping the boat in the water for less than 3 days or so at a time, you can always paint the bottom with awlgrip or something similar. If you plan on keeping the boat iin the water for longer periods of time, don't use Awlgrip or Imron because it will bubble.

For your bootstripe....there are numerous paints you can use...Interlux actually makes a boot stripe paint that you can brush or spray on.

Comment

I am in the same situation, my botom paint is worn. I do not keep mine in the water as well. What is the best method for removing the old paint? I am a novice when it comes to paint/gelcote. I read something about a highpressure spray that uses a mix of water and baking soda. It is supposed to remove everything but the gelcote. Anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Paul
      Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

To Ed Mancini,

Thanks for the info! I always appreciate the knowledge of you guys and your willingness to offer to those of us who are somewhat industrially challenged!

Thanx, Justus
        Justus[br]\'93-211 Classic [br]Baton Rouge

Comment

Ed is referiing to Interlux VC performance which is a two part teflon epoxy paint. I put it on my boat last year as I also trailer my boat and wanted to get a bottom clear of years of bottom paint. I have been very plesed with the paint and thus far has shown no signs of wear from trailer.Iuse the boat 3 or 4 times a week so this is far amount of trailer loads and unloads. Good stuff

Mike
          Mike[br]Milford Ct.[br]

Comment

Mako22,

How did the paint effect cruising speed?

Thanks,

Paul
            Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

Working...
            X