17 Mako gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 Mako gas tank

My old (1976) 17' Mako's gas tank is banging a small hole in the bottom of the hull. Obviously the foam has deteriorated. Are there brackets available to use instead of the foam method? Has anyone re-foamed a tank in?

We have refoamed a tank in a 77 Mako 17 foot angler. In our boat, and I would presume this is the case for your boat, the tank sat in a coffin that was molded into the deck which kept it enclosed and away from the rest of the boat.

So, I am not sure how the gas tank is making a hole in the bottom of the boat.

The first thing I would do is take the console off the boat and the big floor hatch to get a feel for the condition of the tank and the foam surrounding the tank.

If and when you decide to refoam the tank use the two part foam it is the best!

Hope this helps...

Cliff
    Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

The coffins that the tanks sit in are usually on / in-between the stringers and usually off the bottom of the boat by at least 3 to 4 inches. When I did my tank on a '73 22, there were 4 holes in the bottom of the coffin (one near each corner) so that Mako could put foam under the tanks to seal and cuishion the coffin / tank from the pounding that they take every time you go out. I would imagine that this foam needs to be in place to help with the structural integrity of the hull - i.e. it's designed that way and I would not remove any foam - or if you do, make sure that you put it back into the same places you removed it from. Getting back to you orginal comments - that the tank is coming through the bottom ?? I would not do anything except remove the CC and hatch and take a good look at the tank. If it's never been out of there before it's definately due for a look see as its probably leaking anyway.

Hope this helps -

Mike
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
      X