STEIGER CRAFT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEIGER CRAFT

OK I KNOW IT MUST BE A CRAZY QUESTION BUT I'M THINKING ONLY THINKING ABOUT SELLING MY 78 25 MAKO CC AND PICKING UP A 88 25FT STEIGER CRAFT THE MAKO IS STILL IN GREAT SHAPE BUT JUST THINKING THAT NOW I SHOULD SELL IT BECAUSE OF THE AGE AND THE STEIGER WOULD GIVE ME BETTER PROTECTION FROM THE WEATHER. JUST WANNA KNOW WHAT EVERBODY THINKS ABOUT THE STEIGER CRAFT ANY INFO ON THE RIDE,HANDLING JUST ANYTHING ON IT ANYWAY MAKO IS THE KING OF THE SEAS.......MAKOTIME
    Prev Boats[br]1974 18ft Fleetcraft 74-97[br]1974 20ft Mako 95-99[br]Currently[br]1978 25ft Mako CC 99-??

please turn off CAP'S. It say's your shouting.

I've never seen one in person. I like the lines on the boat.[I like pilothouses.[]] I like the recessed tabs on it too.

Everthing I've read about them, says they are a no frills boat. That's not a bad thing. My preferance would be bracketed outboards. That boat with Pulpit and bracketed outboards is going to be darn near 30ft overall long.

Comment

Hey there-

Steigercraft are a well made boat built on Long Island, NY. However, do to their hull design they've been known to pound a bit when the seas get choppy. I would take a ride on one in less than ideal conditions and see how you like the ride. If it rides well and the boat checks out okay, buy it.

-Ed-

Comment

Echo that - solid, well-made, no-frills boats.

If I were buying new today, would probably get their "SuperFly" 21' CC.

Was on a few years old standard 21' CC a month ago, and seemed like a perfectly fine boat with good storage. Liked the fact that forward area was not step-up.

But - to get back to your question, I don't know the '88 25 beyond rep of current models. Email them and ask for an old brochure - company is still original ownership.
        NYC & L.I. - 1974 \"Classic\" Mako 20\' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R[br]My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594[br]Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/

Comment

Steiger makes a great boat. The 'Chesapeake' model (and the 'Miami' with the open backed pilothouse) are very popular and can be had with outboard power as well as with an I/O.

If you're looking at the Steiger, you might also want to compare with the Judge, Eastern, and Parker which are all similar designs. Most of these hulls have a modified vee design (tho the Parker can be had as a deep vee also), so you won't have the speed and soft ride of your Mako.

Still, these boat do ride amazingly well with the proper trim, tabs, and a good throttle hand... and the pilothouse can be a godsend when the weather turns nasty. Drive them too hard for the conditions and they will pound, just as any boat will (even a Mako).

If you have any specific questions, let me know because I looked at all of them before I found the pilothouse that I finally bought. []

Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Check all dental work before venturing out in a steigercraft. Your 25 Mako is one of the best riding boats ever built in that size range. You would definately be taking a step backwards.

Comment

thanks all i'll keep you updated with what i do and if i sell the mako
              Prev Boats[br]1974 18ft Fleetcraft 74-97[br]1974 20ft Mako 95-99[br]Currently[br]1978 25ft Mako CC 99-??

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mako224

Check all dental work before venturing out in a steigercraft. Your 25 Mako is one of the best riding boats ever built in that size range. You would definately be taking a step backwards.

Thats funny! Come by the office and I'll take a look-see to make sure that you are ready to venture out into the sea in a Steiger.
                Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

just wanna update everybody...went out for a ride on the 25 steiger with the pilot house and i have to say that the mako is the caddy of the sea..riding at about 4000 rpms that boat just pounded and pounded every wave it sat very nice but just slammed every wave i hated the ride but i liked the concept..the next day we went out with the mako every wave we hit it cut thru the waves like a hot knife cutting butter.... so im keepin the mako forgive me for straying but im staying true with my 25 mako.....makotime is the right time

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by makotime

OK I KNOW IT MUST BE A CRAZY QUESTION BUT I'M THINKING ONLY THINKING ABOUT SELLING MY 78 25 MAKO CC AND PICKING UP A 88 25FT STEIGER CRAFT THE MAKO IS STILL IN GREAT SHAPE BUT JUST THINKING THAT NOW I SHOULD SELL IT BECAUSE OF THE AGE AND THE STEIGER WOULD GIVE ME BETTER PROTECTION FROM THE WEATHER. JUST WANNA KNOW WHAT EVERBODY THINKS ABOUT THE STEIGER CRAFT ANY INFO ON THE RIDE,HANDLING JUST ANYTHING ON IT ANYWAY MAKO IS THE KING OF THE SEAS.......MAKOTIME

North Fork, L.I., NY

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by makotime

just wanna update everybody...went out for a ride on the 25 steiger with the pilot house and i have to say that the mako is the caddy of the sea..riding at about 4000 rpms that boat just pounded and pounded every wave it sat very nice but just slammed every wave i hated the ride but i liked the concept..the next day we went out with the mako every wave we hit it cut thru the waves like a hot knife cutting butter.... so im keepin the mako forgive me for straying but im staying true with my 25 mako.....makotime is the right time

What you've just learned is that those vessels are two very different style of boats. The Steiger has a much shallower deadrise than the Mako, and must be driven with that in mind. There is no way that a Steiger will make the same speed as your Mako. Hell, even my Parker won't. They are two very different boat designs. The deep vee will always have a better ride at speed.

The Steiger, Parker, Eastern, Judge, C-Hawk, Maycraft... and other pilothouse designs require you to slow down, and adjust your approach to boating. Once you're comfortable with that approach, the p-house design has a lot going for it. Protection from the elements being #1 on my hit parade. [] What I like about my Parker is 100 square feet of unobstructed cockpit space. If you like to fish, this is the Mac Daddy of inshore fishing rigs. 9.5' wide by 11' deep.

When I want to go fast with my face in the wind, I hitch a ride on my buddy Capt Daves 1988 Mako 261 with 400 horses of thumping 'Rude power! That deep vee of his gives a nice ride, but hoo-boy...! I don't like his fuel bills! []

Different strokes for different folks.

That 25 of yours is a sweet ride. When you get to be my age, you might be ready for something different. []

Good luck!
                      Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Another option would be to look at the 23 foot Steiger. It has a sharper deadrise than the 25. Both are available as pilothouses with the same floor plan. Either can also be equipped with diesel power for great economy. I have been to the factory for a tour of their facility and I have to say that they are a class act. Everything is made on site less the aluminum work.
                        Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

Ahhhhh.... A single screw diesel inboard would be sweet! Parker doesn't offer that option , but Judge does.

The 24 Judge is a new model this year and is quite similar to the Steiger and Eastern boats.

http://www.judgeyachts.com/24chesape...chesapeake.htm

Comment

Kevin

The Steiger boats are I/O with the diesel or gas. They do not produce a straight inboard. Parker on the other hand did in fact offer a diesel option in 2000 thru 2002 on the 25 foot model. It was a cummins 6 cylinder with a brave three drive. The owner of the house where I dock my boat has the last model year made. Great riding boat and fuel efficiency is 2 to 3 GPM at cruise. Only draw back is that the sound attenuation on the engine box is poor. We will be installing new sound proofing this fall after the bass run.
                            Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

With fuel costs like they are now, maybe more builders will consider reintroducing single diesels in these boats.

That would be a sweet ride. []

Comment

Working...
                              X