Mako 238 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 238 Questions

This is my first post, but I have been an avid reader for a while. I purchased a 1980 238 months ago, and have been putting the finishing touches to fit my fishing style. I have a question, does anyone have problems with the battery compartments on the transom filling up with water, if so, what the best fix for this problem.

Thanks,

Travis
    1980 Mako 238[br]Richmond, VA[br]

My batteries were moved to under the console. Then the boxes were cut so that they wouldn't hold water down there.

I think many with the older boats have moved them to the console where they are easier to access and more secure.

Tom
    Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

Hey Tswayer,

Did you try to remove the battery boxes from the transom or did you just cut them out?

The ones our 25 are very solidly attached to the stringers.

Btw vamako: We moved our batteries under the console as well and now use one of them to hold the oil reservoir. Also, there were two holes drilled in the bottom corners of the boxes to allow water to drain out of them.

Cliff
      Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

One side of each box was cut out so they don't hold water. They were not removed from the boat.

Comment

I was thinking about drilling and installing a drain on each box to allow water to drain out, but I may look at your option tsawyer.

Travis

Comment

Remember if you have you batteries in the builge - builges are known to have water in them for many different reasons over the years i.e. I forgot to put the plug in OR I took that extra large wave over the backside etc . ... Well where I am going is the holes your drilling to let water out will also let builge water in. In my opinion - not a good idea. If the boxes are straped to the floor of the builge properly they will not move around one bit and in a proper battery box, stay dry unitl the water is up about 9 to 10 inches and believe me, if you have that much water in your builge - I don't think you should be concerned about the batteries.

Mike
            1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

The battery compartments are above the deck on the 238. Drilling holes in these compartments would allow water to drain into the splashwell.

Travis

Comment

The battery boxes were originally under the deck in my boat. If there will to fill with water from the bilge, as mentioned by someone else, the water would be very high. If the water got that high, the bilge pumps aren't going to save you.

Comment

If you look on the project boats page, Rob Chambers 238 the last pic on page 1, you can see the compartments on each side of the motor. Like you said Tom, if the water gets that high, you don't have to worry about a bilge pump.

Comment

Working...
                  X