1978 25cc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 25cc

Hi all I am new to the site and I have a couple of questions about my boat. It is a 1978 25cc mako with a 2000 225 suzuki. I would like to know about how fast you think the boat should go. If I should put trim tabs on her. And how much fuel it holds. I have a front tank also I think it is 40gal and mako site said it came with a 160gal main tank. Thanks for any info you guys could give me.

George

George,
    Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

George,

Sorry about the blank response. My family has a 77 25' and it carries an 86 and 36 gallon tank. So unless you know of the tanks in your boat being replaced I am sure they are the same sizes. We don't have trim tabs on the boat, but I am interested to know how the boat would ride and what advantages they would bring. Hope this helps.

Martin
      Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

Reel Raider thanks for the info I hit the wrong button about the gas I ment to put 86gal I wish it was 160. How fast is your boat and with what power

Comment

Our boat has a 96 Johnson 200 and we get about 32 mph. I am not real sure what the gas consumption is though. I do know that it is much better than the 225 we had on it previously, but we haven't missed the horsepower.

Martin
          Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

i have the same boat with a 1989 225 yamaha i get up to 38mph
            Prev Boats[br]1974 18ft Fleetcraft 74-97[br]1974 20ft Mako 95-99[br]Currently[br]1978 25ft Mako CC 99-??

Comment

I have a 79 25 with a 93 250 Yammie and trim tabs. It does 40+.

Comment

Salty Dog,

Did you have the boat before the trim tabs? If so, what are the advantages in the ride and are they worth it?

Thanks,

Martin
                Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

fishpro I have the 77 25cc with a 250 yahmie with bennett tabs. I hold 120 gallons as well. We cruise at about 30 fully loaded and top out at about 42 with tanks half full.
                  Rooster[br]1977 25CC[br]New Orleans, La[br][br]

Comment

hey guys, I have a '76 25' and I am going repower and if need be, put trim tabs on. I was wondering what yall think the difference between Suzi 250 and yammi 225 4 stroke? is the 25 extra worth it? thanks
                    1976 25\' Mako CC \"Makoritaville\"[br]1986 48\' Viking \"Tight Spot\" [br]197? 14\' Mitchell \"Tender Spot\"[br]Biloxi, MS[br][br]

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info. Are the speeds you guys are getting on a gps or loran (speed over bottom) I get 27mph wide open at 5600 rpm's. I dont have tabs I wonder if they would help. I love the boat it is a tank but I think I am working my motor to hard. The gas is maybe a mile to the gallon.

Comment

You might want to consider upping the horsepower, i.e. 300 or a full flotation bracket with twins. Your weight is stated at 2700lbs without load. The hull is rated for 300hp. My '94 Mako 171 at 1250lbs with a suzi 140 4 stroke and 3 blade SS14x20 prop gets just at 39 mph at 6k. Just extrapolating, I would think that you would need 250+ to equal the speed, assuming a relative comparison in the hull hydrodnamics translated to a horsepower-to-weight-to-speed ratio. A 4 blade will get you up on a plane faster (more important if you start a lot in skinny water, i.e less than 4 feet) but a three blade will get you going faster at a lower RPM, hence better gas milelage. This has been my experience with props. Suzuki has done a number of engine tests with a standard prop size mounted on different types of boats and they use the same engine size on different styles/weights/classes of boats and have published the results of their engine testing on their web page.

Maybe they have some archived test data they would let you look at ... if it's worth it ?!
                        Corpuscruiser[br]Northern AL[br]\'94 171

Comment

Working...
                        X