1981 224 - deep vee or modified vee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 224 - deep vee or modified vee

Is the 1981 224 a deep vee or modified vee?

Which hull design is better - deep vee or modified - if running along the beaches, but then also running 20 miles offshore?

thanks.

Deep V is what you want for anything having to do with the ocean side of the beach. Bay fishermen can get what they want out of a modified V. The Deep V will be a bit less stable at rest, but much smoother riding in ocean conditions.

To my knowlegem the 224 was made with a deep V only. It has 19 degrees of deadrise at the transom. Its a very good riding boat and not alot of guys who own them are willing to part with them.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Ed's right. The 224 came with one design and 19 degrees of deadrise, which is considered by most folks to be a "deep V".

Some will say that deep V doesn't start until 21 degrees of deadrise, but that's okay with me. Today, with Contender, SeaVee, Regulator all running at 23 or 24 degrees, a 19 degree might not seem like a deep V.

Ed, you're right, it's a great running hull that can do both inshore and offshore duty; and no, I won't sell mine!

But I do need to get you some photo's...

Prop Blast
      Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

By most standards the 224 is a deep vee. Look at a 1977 22B (mod vee) and compare with the 224. A lot of folks today feel if ya don't have 24 degrees it's not deep vee. Well, thing to remember is.......that big dead rise will cut through the chop but, anchor on a wreck in 4 foot rollers and see what happens........rock and roll !

I have had both the 22B (mod vee) and now have a 21B (deep vee) and there is no comparison in the ride, the 21 rides like it has shocks....the 22 would absolutly beat ya to death, not to mention how much dryer the 21 is. The 21 is 21'7" the 22 was 21"8". The 21 has a 25" transon the 22 a 20". If you are using the 22 in the bay I say go for it, less draft. Please don't get me wrong, the 22 is tough, it could just take more spinal compressions than I could.

Comment

I screwed up on the measurements of the boats. the 1977 22B is 21'9" and the 1988 21B is 21' 7".

Comment

Thanks, guys.

I am actually selling my 1981 Mako 224. It is powered by a 1999 Yamaha 250 HP salt water series. I put a posting up on this board's classifed forum.

I have several pix I can email, if you know anyone who wants to see how she looks. We keep her up in the Sandy Hook, NJ area and she is currently in the water - making it very easy for sea trials. We also have a trailer - part of the package.

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

Comment

While many of the old Makos don't have the deadrise of todays boats they still ride better than alot of the modern boats for several reasons.

Weight.

They are narrower than today's 8'6" and wider beam boats.

Overall solid lines.

A boat that is 8'6" wide or wider and is only 22 or 23 feet long is gonna need a very deep V to prevent it from knocking out your fillings compared to my 224 that is a little under 8' wide. Simply put a narrow heavy boat is gonna cut thru waves very nicely.

Comment

Yes, I agree. I think the standard formula back then was 3 feet of length to 1 foot of width. It really works well and produces a very solid fishing and running platform.

Cliff
                Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Working...
                X