engine weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine weight

Okay, I currently have a 1975 23' Mako with a 1990 225 hp. Johnson. If I fill in the transom and install a bracket, how much weight can I hang off the back of this beauty? A new 225 hp. 4-stroke is 580 lbs. Twin 115 hp. 4-strokes are 430 lbs. each. If I hang twins on her I'll have 860 lbs of motor. Is this going to change the way the boat sits in the water? I would think so. Little Help here?
    Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

I gonn'a find out the answer to your question by this fall. HeHe

But I have made majoir changes to the boat. More weight foward including the batteries. Install a LARGE tub/body bracket. It's 48in wide.

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/xshark/

Comment

Yeah, I've been following your progress closely. Hope you don't mind if I lurk from afar. I've been wondering how those 140's are gonna ride. I'm pretty sure you're whole boat will sit lower in the water with the motors and the front cabin.

I will be storing my boat on the trailer, across from the marina, in a covered boat shed. So, it won't be in the water unless I'm running it. Should I care if it sits a little low in the rear?
      Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Comment

Well it's not prefered, but watch'a gonn'a do? It can cause problems with scupper's not draining correctly. I've decided to go with the ping pong ball scuppers.

Comment

Working...
        X