Check Valves for Scuppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Valves for Scuppers

My 1978 25' sits low in the water at the stern. The deck is probably a couple inches above waterline at rest with both tanks full of gas. When I fill the live well, the deck is at waterline. If people gather on one side at the rear we take on some water through the deck drains. Not enough to present a safety problem, but it is a real nuisance. I use expansion drain plugs to block incoming water while we are not under way.

I am planning to install Sea Scuppers (check ball units) over the drain outlets. When I told a friend about my plan to install them, he said that he understood that they would not work below the waterline because the ball is buoyant and tends to float away from the seal when the boat is at rest.

Has anyone installed them below the waterline and do they remain functional?

Just floundering around,

Joe
    Ole Joe
    Just floundering around
    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
    1978 Mako 25

I'm not sure of this particular unit's design, but most check valves I've used (other applications) have always sealed by the back pressure applied by the liquid you're keeping out. If the valve is properly designed it should seal up even if mounted horizontally.. otherwise I can't see any reason to have even installed that over a rubber flap on the outside drain hole.

Anyone else care to comment?

-Pat.

18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One

(I know it's not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)

Time's fun when you're having flies!

president/hostmaster:

LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.
    18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Cyclops,

I failed to mention that the 1978 design (or at least on my boat) did not utilize a rubber flap valve on the outside of the drain. There is a brass thru hull connected to flex line, then to a Tee - one line to the deck drain and one to the forward bench compartment drain.

My plan is to make up a fairing block around the brass thru hull and install the scupper outside the brass flange.

As long as back pressure exists, it should work.

Just floundering around,

Joe
      Ole Joe
      Just floundering around
      1978 Mako 25

Comment

Flounder - I grew up on a 79 Mako 25 with a tower. Originally it had twin 200hp Evinrudes, then was re-powered with twin Yamaha 150's in the late 80's. With both of these setups it always took on water when you were fighting fish. Other than wet feet, it isn't really a problem. The boat is now powered with a single 225 Evinrude and burns about 1/3 the fuel as it used to and it also sits about three - four inches higher in the stern, in fact I think they are having problems with the water running forward when it rains.

What engine setup do you have? With that boat, the biggest problem is the bilge access cover leaking water when waves splash in. Also, have you moved your batteries to the console to move the weight forward?
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Sailor,

This Spring we repowered from a pair of 150 HP Evinrudes to a pair of 140 HP four stroke Johnsons (made by Suzuki). This added about 80 pounds at the transom - which dropped the stern a couple inches. The batteries are still in the stern boxes. I can move them to the console if necessary, but don't want to give up the console room unless I have to. They can also go to the bilge area immediately in front of the console, but again, I don't want to give up that storage area just yet.

I do mind her sitting as low as she does, but it's not a safety issue. I've got the access cover in the splash secure. It's well gasketed. When we ship water back there, a trickle may enter the bilge if that. To give you an idea where she is sitting, the trough at the rear of the splash well carries about 1" of water at rest in the slip. And yes, we regularly take on water back there when fighting a fish or when anchored with the stren into the seas. Also, jetty fishing has us backing into the seas regularly.

In addition to moving the batteries, I can try to do a better job of keeping the floatation foam dry. A lot of water get into the bilge through the rod holders (five on each side for drifting tuna baits), through the hatch in front of the console, and from the live well (sometimes I let wash-down water go through the live well into the bilge instead of overboard - my fault, I know).

But while I object a little to where she is sitting, I object a lot to wet shoes all day. Boots are OK during the winter, but not during the summer. I believe that the Sea Scuppers will work - and as Cyclops said, as long as there is back pressure they should work.

Just floundering around,

Joe
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          1978 Mako 25

Comment

Sounds just like I remember! One simple fix could also be to simply install some drain plugs in the drains. You would have to watch them carefully and never leave them in the boat unattended but might help keep your shoes dry. I wear sandals or no shoes when fishing so I welcome the water!
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Ringleader,

I see that these scuppers were installed on Artie Sutherland's boat. They show in a couple of his pictures in the Project Section. Can you put me in touch with him or visa-versa? I went through the Member Directory and can't identify him. Thanks.

Just floundering around,

Joe
              Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              1978 Mako 25

Comment

I have twin 130s on my 25, but mine has the massive livewell in the back that doubles as a seat and basically makes the boat have a sealed area as far as water on the floor. My batterys are in the console and it still has one inch of water in the rear of the splashwell. When I have 3 people in the back we get lots of water in the floor but it never bothers me as I replace the hose connecting the drains to the brass thruhulls and keep a close eye on them. I also installed 2 2500 gph rule pumps as well as a high water alarm in the rear bilge. I sealed the big compartment with silicone seal and then put a 6 inch round screw out access so I can get to the bilge in a emergency. I still would like to have a full transom and take the rear livewell out. I converted the in floor livewell to a fresh water tank for my washdown, if you run out of freshwater you can open the big seacock in the bilge and use saltwater but 35 gals of freshwater in there and then fill the livewell and you have serious weight in the stern.

Comment

Flounder, you have mail...
                  Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

flieman,

I use only the below deck well as my livewell, the one you've converted to fresh water storage. The large bench box that seperates the splashwell from the cockpit is used as our fishbox. Your right, if someone filled the fishbox with water for use as a livewell, there would be some serious weight in the stern.

Ringleader,

Thank's for the helping hand. I'll contact him.

Just floundering around,

Joe
                    Ole Joe
                    Just floundering around
                    1978 Mako 25

Comment

Working...
                    X