help with 1993 Yamaha 225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with 1993 Yamaha 225

Friday night my engine shut down while coming back in from graves light (Boston Harbor). After checking the external oil tank I checked the internal oil tank after noticing it was a little low I filled it manually with a gallon of oil. After this the engine would still not run over 2000 rpm. So I called SEA TOW and got dragged home. WHO EVER DOES NOT HAVE SEA TOW SHOULD PURCHASE THIER SERVICES TODAY. What would have been a $800 tow was free and I gave the sea tow captain a $20 for his assistance. Back to the moter. So far I have bench tested the external oil tank pump and it is ok . There are not any obstructions in the line going from the external tank to the internal tank. At this time I am currently reading a service manual for the engine . It mentions a emergency bypass switch for the oil pump. Also how to bleed air out of system . My manual does not mention how to test the sending unit in the internal tank. Nor does it mention how to test this emergency oil bypass switch any other ideas would be very helpful thanks, RUSS T out
    [br]Burlington , MA[br]Previous Boats[br]25\' Mako CC 225 Yamaha (sold)[br]30\' Grady Marlin T/250 Yamaha\'s (sunk) [br]Current boats [br]10\' Zodiac 8hp Yamaha[br]15\' Whaler 75hp Merc[br]24\' Wahoo! EFS 250hp Merc[br]

russ, i have the same problem with my 89 225. the biggest problem is it is intermittent. it will work fine for a few months, then without notice the engine tank will drain empty. have talked with a few yamaha techs and tried troubleshooting it myself but no avail. the closest i can come to a diagnosis is sometimes when it happens removing the sending unit and turning it upside down will let the engine run, but not fill the tank. every time i bring a test meter on the boat, it will not happen. leave it home and you guessed it! i now carry a couple quart bottles of oil on the boat now just in case.
    Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

thanks grantn for the advise .I think you nailed it ! I spent over 8hrs elimiminating posible troubles . I then just decieded to call it a fluke instead. I ran the boat for 10 hrs yesterday chasing stripers and it performed great . With out your advise I would have spent more time and $ further investigating this problem. THANK YOU. Does your engine have a emergency oil switch in it?
      [br]Burlington , MA[br]Previous Boats[br]25\' Mako CC 225 Yamaha (sold)[br]30\' Grady Marlin T/250 Yamaha\'s (sunk) [br]Current boats [br]10\' Zodiac 8hp Yamaha[br]15\' Whaler 75hp Merc[br]24\' Wahoo! EFS 250hp Merc[br]

Comment

Another possible thing that you can look at is there is a little unknown in-line oil filter that is located UNDER the large 2.5 gal oil tank. (You need to remove the tank and look under the tank to see it) Sometimes they plug up and intermittently will let oil through. Usually they last for many hundreds of gallons of oil but one contaminated gallon ....>>>XX### . The only other thing I can think of is that your oil level sending unit / sensor in the small tank on the engine is somehow sticking and the inside float is not being allowed to move freely up and down to trigger the pump to turn on when it gets below the level it should be. That whole assemble is removable by prying off the rubber cover and removing the whole sensor float assembly. Clean it up and make sure that the float will slide freely on that brass center piece. Also, I believe that that emergency switch your looking for is located on a pannel next to the small oil tank and when the key is ONLY IN THE ON POSITION if you push it up, it will start the large tank oil pump and fill the small tank UNTILL YOU REMOVE YOUR FINGER FROM THE SWITCH.

Hope this gives you some ideas -

Mike

Mike
        1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

the switch is located on the ecm near the oil tank. when the small tank runs dry the switch does absolutely nothing. i've tried jumping the switch on the big tank and the small tank, still nothing. i worked on cars for twenty years and the last thing i ever did was throw parts at a problem. i'm not about to do it on my own stuff! lol. anyhow until i get a permanent hard failure, i just keep carrying extra oil.
          Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

Working...
          X