repower????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repower????

I just talked to a guy about repowering my 1977 22' mako with a 1992 225 mercury(Carbarated). The motor was just rebuit. He will install the motor. I have a few questions. The motor has a 25" shaft and he is going to put a 20" on the motor. Is this ok to do? Will 51 gallons give me enough range with this motor? How willthis motor move this boat?

thanks
    keyport nj

A 225hp engine in good condition will have no problem powering a 22' Mako.

My questions would be:

1. Do you know/trust the mechanic? There are good rebuilds and so-so rebuilds.

2. Is there a warranty being provided for a period of time?

3. What do you want to do with the boat? Where do you want to go? A carburated engine will not be too terribly fuel/oil efficient, but that may not be a factor if your typical runs are less than say, 20 miles.

Good Luck,

Tom
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I normal run more then twenty miles a trip. I use the boat for fishing and like not having to worry. Also I would like to get off shore a little. The reason I think i am worring about the fuel efficency of the rebuilt motor is because the boat now has a 1980 johnson 150 that sucks up fuel. I just want the 92 225 to be better. I would liked to get over 100 miles of range with the 51 gallons. Will this be possiable
      keyport nj

Comment

I think that engine will be marginal for your purposes -- especially if the boat only has a 50 gallon tank.

At cruise, you will NOT likely get more than 2mpg out of that hull/engine combination. Figure with a 50 gal tank, you have only about 40 gallons of "useable" fuel. If you're hard over on that kind of range, you may need to shift your sights on to a used DFI/4-stroke; though that rachets up the price of things...

Have you considered a 200hp? That model of 22' had a shallower deadrise, and you should be able to get by with one -- that's why you need to drop from a 25" shaft to a 20".

BTW...you did say what kind of warranty you were getting...

Tom

Comment

Give ya an idea of what different hulls do.

I had a '78 22B (21'8")with a '87 225 Evinrude Looper. It also had the 50 gal tank. I averaged 2 - 2.5 MPG at 28 MPH @ 4000 RPM. 14 1/4 X 17 prop. WOT was 39 MPH @ 5400 RPM. I figure 90 miles was my trip.

I now have a '88 21B (21'7") with a '92 Johnson 225. Has a 86 Gal tank. With a tank of fuel, two guys, loaded for a day of fishing I average 14 GPH @ 30 MPH @ 4500 RPM. That is 2.14 MPG. With one person, 1/2 tank of fuel she WOT at 49 MPH at 6100 RPM. 14 1/4 X 21 SST prop. I figure 160 miles for fuel.

The two hulls are totally different. The 21 rides like a caddy compared to the 22.

Get a warranty in writting on that motor !! If it lives past 100 hours it should be fine. If ya don't mind, How much is he charging ya ?

Comment

I am getting a 30 day warrenty. $4500 seems to be the guys flat charge for a rebuilt 200 or 225. He said he has a 225 1992 and a 200 in the 1987. I haven't made a decision yet, I might just keep looking. The johnson 150 is still running that is on the boat. It is just a dog and eats gas. I figure I have another few trip before i get sick of the motor or it blows up.
            keyport nj

Comment

A 30 day warranty only -- give me a break! Walk away...you'll barely have the engine broken in... $4,500 for a 12 year old engine...no way. If you don't know the guy and trust his work, I'd find another option. What exactly is he rebuilding, just the known broken stuff? What about the trim motor, the gear case and seals, pistons and rings, water pump, power pack, what shape is the flywheel in... you get the picture.

I think you would get by just fine with a 200hp engine -- and fuel economy would be better than a 225hp. Suggest you keep using the current engine and keep your eye open for a good deal. If you know folks in FL, there are a ton of good used engines available in the 200-225hp range. Are you hung up on a particular manufacturer?

Prop Blast

Comment

I gott'a agree with Propblast.

QUOTE:

A 30 day warranty only -- give me a break! Walk away...you'll barely have the engine broken in... $4,500 for a 12 year old engine...no way. If you don't know the guy and trust his work, I'd find another option. What exactly is he rebuilding, just the known broken stuff? What about the trim motor, the gear case and seals, pistons and rings, water pump, power pack, what shape is the flywheel in... you get the picture.

Comment

Ditto on the keep looking.
                  2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

I paid $4500 for a pair of 1993 Johnson 150s three years ago. I think that is too much for 1 engine of that age.

Tom
                    Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

Working...
                    X